Chapter 5

Douglas.

Douglas kept consuming my thoughts.

I was currently in class which was my first time being in considering the first day of meeting teachers Douglas and I went out to eat. I didn't usually think of a boy this much; I never have actually. I've always been taught to not let boys keep me from my education and aspirations I had in my life. I wasn't going to let that happen, but it was strange how this guy I barely even knew had appeared in my life out of nowhere at unexpected times. It almost didn't even seem coincidental, but it was. It had to be.

Ryan Montgomery, on the other hand, had been my first 'love' and my first boyfriend. When we were together though it was all staged and manifested for my father and his father's firm.

My father was an international lawyer and was well known for his work in multiple criminal and political cases. In other words, our families were part of the elite causing us or more so our fathers to be in the news a lot. So, having both of their children date would look like we would be continuing the family business and keeping our families united. But, what people didn't know was that Ryan and I broke up a long time ago. The only people who knew were our families and the close-knit group of girl friends I had back home.

When Ryan and I first started to date we did like each other. We would sneak out late at night just to see each other and in the beginning it didn't matter that our parents' were forcing us to date. Or so, we had thought. Now, thinking of Douglas continuously made me realize there really was nothing between Ryan and I that was real.

"Mr. Mikaelson, is it?" The professor asks someone making me come back to reality.

Mikaelson? Where have I heard that last name before? Staring in the direction the teacher is looking I land my eyes on him. Making me think, how did I not know he was in my class?

Douglas looks at the young teacher who looks like he was a frat boy in college, and stops doing whatever he was doing before he was called on. The teacher gives Douglas a stern look making me feel uncomfortable for him.

Instead of slouching in his seat Douglas sits up straight. "Yes"

"Well, Mr. Mikaelson can you please tell me what happened in the last scene since you seem to think doodling is more important than my class" The professor says with an evil smile.

I don't even know where we are in the play that we've been reading. I know we were learning about Hamlet and I've read that play about a million times. We couldn't possibly have gotten far.

But, I doubt Douglas had been paying attention. He looked not fazed by the professor's words when he smiled a small smile. So, does this mean he knew where we were? I doubt it.

"Well sir, we just finished reading the scene where Hamlet's love letter to Ophelia is read by her father, Polonius, to the King and Queen. Her father reads to them this line, Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love" Douglas tells the professor with no expression at all.

I couldn't help but stare at Douglas attentively. He knew. Douglas continues to look at the professor and the professor's eyes harden. Maybe, he was upset Douglas knew where we were or maybe he was upset he looked like a complete jerk.

"Tell me what you think that line means" The professor commands Douglas.

"It means you can doubt even the most obvious true things in the world around you, but never doubt I love you. It's something a lover says to a lover about how deep their love for them is and how it is the last thing in the universe they should doubt" Douglas says and once again making the professor look like a jerk.