Chapter 9

As I stare out the window of the car and watch the houses go by I start to remember memories of me riding my bike down this street. I become nervous. This street was very close to my home. I was beginning to think bringing Douglas to my parent's house where Ryan is wasn't such a good idea anymore. For all, I know Douglas could lose his temper and hit Ryan like he did the first night I ever met him.

Douglas had managed not to talk to me the whole way. I was a bit embarrassed about how I had acted earlier. He must be wondering why I was so freaked out about him speeding. When he had stopped the car on the side of the road and had opened my door he had looked so worried. It was as if I was broken glass to him. As if I was fragile and needed to be cared for. That wasn't me though. I wasn't some girl who needed affection from a boy to know she was capable of doing great things. Because I already knew I was.

Maybe I wasn't content, but is anyone really? We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same. We want. We need. We must have. Isn't this what everyone says in order to have something? Isn't this what people do? They ask for something and ultimately they receive it.

"We're here" Douglas says breaking me from my deep thoughts.

I look at the big gated doors of the home I dreaded to go in. Everything I once felt before had vanished and a new feeling had appeared. Panic. This was the house I had been locked in for years where no one could see the pain, my misery. This home wasn't a home at all.

It was much rather just bricks cemented together and painted, just laying in a lot.

"This is the right address right?" Douglas questions me with raised eyebrows.

I take in a deep breathe. "Yes, yes it is. Just drive up a little bit more until you see a silver button to your left. Once you see it push it"

Douglas nods his head and does as he is commanded to do. He drives up a little bit more and the view of my old home becomes more seen. Douglas pushes the small silver button and waits patiently.

"Hello, this is the Greyson residents. Who might you be? And what may you be here for?" An all too familiar voice ask us.

I flung my body across Douglas's where the window was open so, Mitchum would be able to hear me speak.

"It's, Audrey Greyson the one and only. I'm here for lunch with my parents and the Montgomery's" I tell him and immediately the gates unlocked.

My heart began to race and I went back to how I was sitting before. Douglas looks over at me as if... I was crazy. Maybe I was crazy. I hope not though. Maybe he could see how nervous I was and I was on the verge of having a panic attack.

He grabs ahold of my hand and I don't know if it's out of moral support or him trying to make me feel something. Or, he could just be acting like a man whore which I still assume he is.

We drive into my driveway and back near the water fountain in the middle of the yard. Douglas parks the car while still maintaining to hold my hand in his. To say I didn't feel all warm and fussy and like I was on the verge of screaming would be an understatement.

Words couldn't describe how I was feeling at the moment when he actually grabbed ahold of my hand in his. Electrified with happiness or maybe even flushed with the feeling of being cared by someone other than myself.

"Alright, we have to go in there" I say miserably.

"You don't seem like you want to go in" Douglas says pointing out the obvious.

Of course, I didn't want to go in there. It was hell in there and heaven in here. When all went bad this home was where everything went. Maybe, that's why I feel as though I have fought through hell to get where I am today.