Chapter 15: Sickness

"Checkmate!" I smiled, hugging Chase. "I win!"

Chase smirked and forced a pained giggle, "Good job, A."

"Chase, are you going to die?" I asked, frowning. "Please don't go."

"Even when I'm gone, I'll still be with you. You just won't be able to see me," he shrugged.

"Yeah, but..." I sighed.

"Alena, come on." Dad came into the room in a rush. "Mommy needs you right now," daddy smiled.

"I don't want to leave Chase."

"Alena, go!" Daddy grabbed my arm roughly. I yelled in pain as he dragged me out of the room

___

I scream as I sit up in bed holding my chest. Damien sits up in the couch as well, wiping his eyes. "Again?" He yawns.

I gulp in bunches of air to regain myself. I notice the sun peeking out from the window and I groan. I woke up so many times during the night. I'm sure I've only gotten a collective 2 hours of sleep. "Yes," I whisper.

"What are the nightmares about?" He questions. I suck in a sharp breath and throw my feet over the side of the bed. "I don't want to talk about it," I grumble as I climb out of bed. I hardly have any energy but I have an eventful day to look forward to. Tony's letter has been eating me alive and I need to see what his deal is.

"My family wants us down for breakfast, but you're welcome to sleep in." Damien trudges over to me. He gives me an awkward hug, and in his embrace, I feel cold. There's no comforting feelings anymore. I frown and push him away gently.

"I'll be alright, let's go eat," I follow him as he leaves the room. I stare at his back and run a hand through my hair. I don't know why these nightmares are suddenly happening. They're definitely keeping me up at night. We step onto the elevator and Damien presses a button. I don't pay attention because I'm lost in my own head as the elevator starts to move.

I find my eyes drooping shut in the middle of the elevator, but I catch myself before I doze off. The elevator dings just in time and Damien steps out. I follow him to the familiar dining room and sit at the same seat I've always sat in. "We were waiting for the two of you," Livvy chimes. "Good morning." Her gaze falls on me and she looks concerned, "Alena, darling, are you alright"

"I... I'm fine," I manage to let out. She gives Damien a look that I can't decipher and he doesn't say anything.

I'm sure Drake senses the awkwardness in the air, and he starts a meaningless conversation between everyone.

"Did you sleep at all?" Damien asks. I can feel my body becoming inflamed and I can feel my face twisting from the pain in my stomach. I don't understand what's going on.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Livvy asks me.

"I don't know," I whisper. "But I'm fine," I stand up because sitting down is only making me drowsy. "I'm just going to go get some rest."

"Yes, that might be best," Livvy gives me a weak smile. I notice Thaddeus isn't in the room, and I'm relieved about it more than anything. I leave the dining room and I start to walk down a long corridor. I'm not sure where I'm going. It's hard to navigate when my brain is half asleep. "Excuse me," I stop a woman in the middle of the hall. She looks startled that I've stopped her.

"Do you know where the pack prison is?" I ask.

She nods. "Go all the way down, make a turn and you'll see a door at the very end of that hall. It leads down into the basement where the cells are," she instructs.