Chapter 7: Heartbreak

Since we've gotten back, Damien gave me a tour of the house. Well, the downstairs at least. The foyer is one of my favorite rooms besides the library. Damien explained to me that the library is his favorite. We ran into a lot of people during our tour who seemed nothing but scared of him as they avoided us completely, but Damien didn't mind at all. When I asked him if it was a hotel he said no, but I'm still questioning that. It's obvious his family isn't the only one living in this place.

Our final destination is the kitchen. It's a large white space with marble countertops. It's so unimaginably clean, I can see my reflection on the floor. "Damien!" I hear heels clicking and increasingly coming nearer to the kitchen.

Damien groans and sits down on one of the bar stools. "Go away, Lily."

When she walks in, she looks stunned to see me here. "Hi, Alena!" I timidly nod back at her and look away. "How was shopping?"

"It went well," Damien states.

"You didn't try to run away, did you?" Lily asks me.

"No," I awkwardly stand between the 2 of them. "I like your dress."

She beams at me, "Thank you so much." She twirls in a little circle. "What do you think, Damien?" She coos and walks over to him. He's clearly unamused with her being so close to him but he doesn't say anything. She pinches his cheeks when he scowls at her and swats her hands away.

"You look nice, Lil," he rolls his eyes in annoyance.

"See?" Lily turns to me. "He's a huge softy."

I laugh nervously, "not so much with me." And Damien shoots me a glare.

"It may not seem like it, but he cares about you."

Damien frowns, "that's enough, Lily."

I look down and gulp nervously. "You do. Stop denying it. You care about her."

"I don't care about the stupid human!" Damien finally shouts. His voice echoes throughout the kitchen, and I can feel my own heart betraying me. Shattering into a million pieces as I watch him leave the room and disappear.

I look at Lily who seems just as shaken as I am. I can feel a lump forming in my throat. I can't believe I actually want to cry. "He doesn't mean that," Lily says, but even she sounds unsure.

I give her a weak smile. "Can I go to the bathroom?"

She nods, "yeah, it's down the ha—"

I cut her off sharply, "I know where it is, thank you." I hurry out of the room willing myself not to actually cry. I don't know why I care so much about what he thinks but something deep inside of me is unsettling. My heart feels as if it's been ripped out of my chest and the more I think about it, the more I feel as if I'm suffocating. I accidentally walk into a room that's not the bathroom, but I eventually get to the right door. I turn on the light and look at myself in the mirror. Do not cry, Alena.

I start to run my fingers through my hair to distract myself. "Please don't cry," I whisper to myself. I finally twist my hair up into a messy bun without a tie and I notice something shimmering on my neck. I squint at my reflection in the mirror and focus on it more. It looks almost like a tattoo. I've never gotten a tattoo before. Upon closer inspection, I realize it's in the shape of a howling wolf. "No way," I whisper as I brush my fingertips over the surface. Flashbacks of Damien kissing me go through my head and the pain on my neck.

"This cant be happening!" I yank the bathroom door open and start to hurry towards the back door. I hope no one will see me. I need to get out of this hell hole once and for all. I need to be as far away from Damien as possible.

"Ma'am, may I help you?" Asks a woman carrying a tray with clean plates.

"No, thank you," I start to pick up my pace as I hurry past her. I see the exit at the end of the hall. During the tour, I made a note of all the exits, but this is the one I remember prominently. As soon as I get to the door, I slam it open and I'm met with a cool breeze. I'm free. Well, not entirely.

"Nice try, Human." Someone grabs my waist and I'm lifted up in the air.

"No!" I squirm around in their arms. The bruises on my body are aching in pain and the person tightens their hold on me.

"Tony was right, you're a fighter." The man finally let's go of me and I fall to the ground in pain. I can't get up because of the excruciating pain inflaming my entire body. "Are you okay, Luna?" He touches my shoulder. I recognize him as Kelly. He tries to grab me again and I scream out in pain. His eyes widen and he looks frightened. "I'm sorry," he quickly tries to soothe like an older sibling that just hurt their younger sibling.

"It hurts," I whimper but I can't tell if I'm talking about my own aching heart or the bruising itself.

"What hurts?" A familiar deep voice appears out of nowhere. "Why are you hurting?" Damien asks and he lifts me into his arms. The pain from the bruises ease when he touches me and I stop whimpering.

"I'm taking her to my room," Damien says to Kelly and he starts to carry me back inside. I can't bring myself to speak. I find comfort in his arms and him touching me. I want to stay in them forever.

"You feel better," I mumble and bury my face in his arm. "I feel better."

"I'm glad you're not in pain," he states blankly. I hear his words from before echo in my head and the tears are coming back. I will myself not to cry and I sigh.

It feels as if I've been in his arms for an eternity when he finally places me on the familiar bed. I notice the room is no longer messy. The bed is made up and the clothes aren't littering the floor. "Did you mean what you said?" I ask the burning question. Damien takes out a key from his pocket and stares at me before he leaves. When the door closes, I can hear the lock click, and I relax back on the bed with the pain from the bruises returning.

I wait a couple of minutes to get down from the bed. I shakily dial Max's number on the phone beside the bed and I hear it ring. I count the number of times it rings before someone picks up. "Hello?" A girl answers.

My head starts to spin. "Hello? Who is this?"

"I'm Martha, Max's girlfriend. He's in the shower right now but I can leave a message."

"N-no," I stutter, unable to comprehend the situation.

"Wait, is this Alena?" I hear a muffled voice in the back, and a familiar one.

"Alena?" Someone picks up the phone and it's Max's voice. I quickly hang up and I stare at the phone as if it's the Devil himself.

"This can't be happening," I sob as I can no longer contain it all in. I curl up into a ball and breakdown into tears. My heart feels dead and deserted, but as much as I try to tell myself I'm hurt over Max and what's he's done to me, deep down I know that every single tear running down my face is because of my captor.