Chapter 17: Done

Alena's POV

"Wow... that's... old." I frowned.

"You're a cute kid." He laughed.

"Why won't you speak to my mother instead?" I asked. It would make sense if they sorted out an agreement than a 500-and-something year old man with a 6 year old.

"Parents tend to get way too desperate for my liking. It's a lot easier to watch a kid cry than the awkwardness of a grown man sobbing in front of you. How am I supposed to comfort someone like that? Plus, I think kids are cute. Well, in a way that's not pedophilic. Trust me, the last thing I'd want to do is hit on a 6 year old." He rolled his eyes.

"Can you save my brother?" I asked hopefully. Mom told me he could save Chase's life.

"Maybe he's not meant to stay alive." The man replied simply. My hopes fell.

"He's my brother! He can't die!"

"Look, kid. Some people are meant to live and others aren't. Your brother is meant to die."

I felt tears brim my eyes but I want him to understand. "Damien?" I asked. Mommy told me that's his name.

"Hm?" He asked sitting down on the ground. He's a beautiful person.

"What if your friend were dying from cancer? Would you save them?"

"I don't have friends, but I'm still looking for my mate. In that instance, of course I'd save her. But as for anyone else, who am I to play God in their life?"

"Then who are you to play God in hers?"

___

I open my eyes, and I'm being embraced by Tony who is snoring. Damien is also sleeping outside the cell. I wiggle free from Tony and sit on one end of the cage. I stare at Damien's sleeping figure and I want to hurt him. I don't want to believe what he'd done. "Get me out!" I yell pounding on the cage with my fists. I don't stop even through the pain and the bleeding that occurs. "Now, Damien!" I yell.

Tony and Damien both wake up. "Alena, calm down. You'll wake everyone up." Damien rushes over immediately.

"Take me home. I want my parents. I want Max!" I cry, "please!"

"I'm saving you right now." Tony rolls his eyes as if I'm an idiot.

"I don't care! Get away from me! Both of you! Take me home!" I yell.

"What's wrong?" Damien is beyond shock and I can tell he doesn't know how to respond to my breakdown.

"You're wrong! All of this is wrong! You can't ruin my life! Not again!" Tears are streaming down my face and finally, Damien unlocks the cage. He pulls me out and I fight to break free from him. "I hate you!" I shout pounding on his chest as he locks it back.

"Alena," He growls. "Calm down, okay?"

"No! You... You... You monster! You're nothing but an inconsiderate monster!" I wail. "You ruined my life! You killed my brother, and you're killing me."

Both Damien and Tony fall silent. "Alena, can we talk about this later?" He suggests.

"No! Tell me the truth!" I demand crossing my arms.

"Alena..." He massages the space between his eyes.

"Tell me the truth right now."

He finally looks up at me with sincere regret. "I didn't kill him... But I didn't save him."

I want to punch him, kick him, make him feel pain. I know it's no use to do any of that. If being here puts my life in danger, why should I stay? My parents lost Chase, and now they are going to lose me.

The tears stroll down my cheeks. Damien tries to grab me, but I dodge his arms. "No," I whisper. "Take me home."

"I can't do that." He frowns. "Now come with me." This time his tone is a lot more demanding than before, and even in this excruciating pain I'm feeling, I know he'll force me to leave the prison himself.

___

"Well..." Lily paces the room in thought.

"I don't want to be here." I repeat for the last time.

"Honey, we get that." Damien's mom adds.

"You broke your mate, Dae." Elise frowns.

"What are we going to do?" Asks Damien.

His mom, Lily, and Elise shame their head dismayed. "This is your mess you have to clean up. You're the reason she's like this and remembers what happened." Lily's tone is firm and I can tell she isn't messing around. She then leaves the room, and Elise follows looking pretty pissed, and along with his mom who is mostly disappointed.

Damien stands up and I follow. I'm not going to let him intimidate me any longer. "About before," He massages the back of his neck.

"Before letting my brother die, or almost letting me die?" I scoff.

"Alena, please don't be so sarcastic. You know what I mean —"

"No, I don't, Damien. I'm being serious right now."

He exhales deeply, "Can we just rest this off?" Rest this off? I grind my teeth.

"No! I'm done with this! I told you, I'm being serious, Damien."

"I get it, but —"

"I don't think you understand. I'm done. I don't want to be here! I don't want to be with you!"