Chapter Seventeen

"Will you stop fidgeting?"

Sabrina stopped bouncing her good leg and brought her hand up to her mouth, biting her nails. They'd been driving for about fifteen minutes and that was the third time Chris had asked her to stop.

"I'm sorry," She mumbles, looking out her window.

Chris sighed softly as he looked at his girlfriend. She was nervous, he could tell, but what was it she was nervous about? He was the one meeting her family. They loved her. What would they think of him? He remembered her comment about her dad shooting him. If anyone should be nervous, it was him.

When she had woken up that morning, Sabrina was excited. She couldn't wait to get to Pineville and see her family. She couldn't stop talking about them as she got ready. Once she got in the car, however, her mood quickly changed. She kept quiet and looked out the window, biting her nails or bouncing her leg up and down.

It was quiet for a few more minutes. Chris drove, but when they missed their turn, she frowned. The GPS began spewing new directions.

Sabrina looked at him. "You were supposed to turn back there."

Chris didn't say anything. He pulled to the side of the road and stopped, putting the car in park.

"What's wrong?" He asks, looking at her.

"I just..." She sighs. "What if they end up not liking you?"

"They'll just have to suck it up because I'm not going anywhere." Sabrina's lips quirked up a bit. "I promise, no matter what happens, I won't leave you. If your dad shoots me, well, that would suck, but I'll still love you. Okay?"

Sabrina rolls her eyes and sighs. "Okay..."

"Now smile," He says. "This will all be over before you know it."

Chris turned the car around and he drove to Sabrina's house, which was only a few minutes away from where he had stopped.

They pulled into the driveway. Snow covered everything and there were footprints that went all around the house. There was a poorly made snowman in the front yard.

Sabrina grinned. "My cousins are here."

Before he could respond, she opened the car door and got out. Chris rolled his eyes and smiled. He turned off the car and got out himself. Sabrina was already standing by the snowman by the time he shut the door. He walked up to her.

She shoved her hands into her pockets. "Be good, okay?"

He raises his eyebrows. "Me be good? I'm not the one with a mouth like a sailor."

Sabrina rolls her eyes and sticks her tongue out at him. She quickly walks to the front door, and Chris follows her. They stop in front of the door.

"Are you ready?" Sabrina asks.

"Of course," He says, smiling.

She grabbed his hand and squeezed it. He expected her to knock, but she just opened the door and dragged him into the house.

It smelled like chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate. The door opened into a foyer, which eventually led into the living room. Connected to the living room, and separated by an island, was the kitchen. A woman and three children were in the kitchen, while a man sat in the living room.

"Autumn!" One of the kids yelled.

"Austin, no yelling in the house," The woman scolds, but the boy ignores her.

The boy - Austin, Chris assumed - hopped off the stool he was sitting on and ran toward Sabrina. It looked like he was going to crash into her, but he stopped when he saw the cast and crutches.