Chapter Five - Percy

Percy was sitting awkwardly in a chair next to the cot that Annabeth was now sitting on. She'd woken up a few minutes after the Flash and the guy who'd been sucking on a lollipop left. Percy had watched as the doctor, who'd introduced herself as Caitlin Snow, checked on Annabeth's injuries and was now listening as she told them her condition.

"You have a bruised rib," Doctor Snow explained. "It's not bad, but you will notice that it hurts a bit. It shouldn't take too long to heal. I'd give it a month max, minimum of three weeks."

Both Annabeth and Percy nodded, though they both knew it wouldn't actually take that long to heal. Not when they'd both brought ambrosia to Central City, in case one of them got injured for some reason - like if, say, an ancient Greek monster attacked. The godly food would definitely speed up the healing process. Percy would give it a week at most, maybe a few days less.

Of course, neither of them said that. They hadn't had a moment alone, so Percy had been unable to explain what had happened while she'd been knocked out, and he'd been unable to dig the ambrosia out of Annabeth's backpack. If they got it out now, Doctor Snow might ask what it was and if she could have some, which they'd have to say no to, since she was most likely mortal. Percy could tell this because she didn't give off the 'Look at me wrong and I'll kill you' vibe gods and goddesses usually had.

"Make sure to take aspirin or some other type of painkiller," Caitlin continued, "and if you use ice, don't use it for too long. Thirty minutes at a time will be plenty."

Annabeth leaned against raised half of the cot and nodded slightly. "I'll remember," she promised. "Thank you, Doctor Snow."

"It's the least I can do," Caitlin replied, smiling at the the blonde, "Miss..." She trailed off, her expression silently asking for a name that she didn't have.

"Annabeth," the demigod told her, returning a small smile of her own.

Caitlin nodded, "Miss Annabeth," before turning her head to look at Percy, who hadn't really said anything to her during the past few minutes, unless you counted the 'Is she okay?' and 'What are you doing?' questions he'd asked during the check-up. "And... I don't believe I know your name yet."

"I'm Percy," he answered. He fidgeted on the seat slightly, tapping his foot on the floor. He could never really stay still too long, thanks to his ADHD.

Percy watched as Caitlin walked into an adjoining room with glass walls they could see into before looking at Annabeth, silently asking if she wanted him to try to sneak her some ambrosia now. Since they knew each other so well, she got the message easily and shook her head just enough that he could see. Not yet.

Caitlin walked back into the room, done with whatever she'd been doing. Probably putting away equipment. Annabeth shifted on the bed, moving so she was sitting upright by herself and not leaning against the back of the cot or its pillows. "So, Doctor," she began, "if you don't mind me asking, what do you do here at S.T.A.R. Labs? I thought this place had been shut down."

Doctor Snow frowned, looking over at them. "How'd you know this was S.T.A.R. Labs?"

"The logo is on the island and on the back of the computers on top of it," Annabeth answered simply. Percy hid a grin. Daughter of Athena, ever paying attention to details. He hadn't been paying much attention to any of the logos around and, even if he had, his dyslexia was worse than hers, so it would've taken him longer to figure out what it said.

The doctor looked at the logo, seeming to relax slightly. "Right. Sorry," she apologized, sounding both embarrassed and relieved. "To answer your question, we help monitor the city. We help the police department once in a while too, offering tech that they can use to help protect themselves against criminals."