Chapter Twenty-Four - Barry

Barry studied the tracks, then looked at their surroundings. He saw the dirt road that led up to the farmhouse, which was the most obvious place Kayla would drive the car. There were other open spaces she could've driven through, but she'd be too visible. Some trees were grouped too close together for a car to get through, but there was no reason Kayla couldn't've been on foot to get to and from it.

Looking up, he checked on how Percy and Annabeth were doing. Percy seemed to have an endless supply of ridiculous taunts and other comments to rile up the hidden enemy. He and Annabeth had split up, but it didn't seem to do much. Kayla was still able to send things after them both.

Annabeth was closest to Barry. She looked around while she ran. What she was thinking, he wasn't sure. She looked his way after a few seconds and the speedster knew she'd seen him. The daughter of Athena gave him an expectant look, as if silently asking how his progress was. In reply, Barry discreetly pointed towards the van door.

The blonde frowned. Barry watched her as she looked towards the door, then sharply changed course. She skidded to a stop near it, crouching low and lifting it up, using it almost as a shield. Barry waited for Kayla to do something, snatch the door away or attempt smashing Annabeth with it, but nothing happened. When he looked towards Percy, he saw why.

The demigod was being barraged by an an army of tree branches. He swung his sword, able to chop up some of them. How long he'd be able to keep that up without being beaten, Barry wasn't sure.

Returning his gaze back to Annabeth, he saw her inspecting the dirt. Looking up, they made eye contact. She pointed at the dirt, at the tire tracks, then off to her left. "They go that way," she mouthed.

Barry turned things over in his mind. Right then, Kayla was focusing on destroying Percy. The farmhouse was going to go down. The daughter of Nemesis had a car and was hidden somewhere nearby.

He got an idea.

While Kayla had her attention on Percy, the speedster ran over to Annabeth, picked her up, and brought her to his hiding spot. Once he'd set her down, he asked, "Do you think you can find where Kayla is?"

The blonde nodded. Then she gave him a look, silent for a second before guessing, "You have an idea?"

Barry shrugged one shoulder. "Kind of." Then he proceeded to tell her what he'd thought of.

Annabeth frowned, her eyebrows furrowing. Her nose scrunched slightly as she thought. After a moment, she spoke, "That may work." She looked at him. "I have a suggestion."

******

A/N: Hello! Guess what? :D My third book was released yesterday! *Throws confetti* I'm very happy and excited about this! XD If you like Flash Flood, you'll enjoy my real books. The series is called RISE OF THE OLYMPIANS. It features the Greek gods, who are having to face an age old enemy. The catch? They're all teenagers who can't stop arguing with each other. XD It's on sale for $0.99 on Amazon, Nook, Kobo, and iTunes. If you haven't read the first two books, book one is FREE for a limited time on Amazon, Nook, and iTunes! Book 2 is also on sale for $0.99 on Amazon, Nook, Kobo, and iTunes! The links are up on my FACEBOOK PAGE! (Www.Facebook.com/AuthorBelleWard) Check em out? :D