Chapter Twenty-Seven - Barry

Barry was nearly done putting out the fire.

Due to the farmhouse's size, it'd taken longer for him to extinguish the flames than he would've preferred. By now, it was mostly put out, much to Barry's relief. When the speedster finished, all that remained of the farmhouse was a pile of charred wood.

He didn't spend much time looking. He studied it for any sign showing it was still burning somewhere he couldn't see and, when he found none, took off running.

Hopefully things were going smoothly on Annabeth and Percy's end of the plan. Well, as smooth as things could go when the three of them all had awful luck and were battling a young girl who wanted the demigods dead-

Barry tripped.

Stumbling, he hit a tree and groaned. Oh, that arm was going to have some nasty bruises on it. Righting himself, he went to run again, assuming what had just happened had been a consequence of being distracted, only to pause. He stood still. Part of him didn't want to do so. He was supposed to be MOVING, helping Percy and Annabeth. A different part of Barry kept him in place, listening, feeling...

The ground was starting to shake.

"Oh God," Barry breathed quietly, eyes widening.

Percy was causing another earthquake.

No sooner than he'd realized what was happening, a tremor passed underneath his feet. Around him, leaves fell from trees as branches shook. Birds took off, flying away. Squirrels ran. All of the animals in the area started fleeing as the earthquake grew stronger.

The masked hero started searching for the demigods. He still used his speed, but was forced to go slower to ensure that if he fell, the force from his running wouldn't break a bone. He didn't like it. He wanted to go faster, search faster, find them faster.

"Barry, what's going on?" Caitlin's voice came through the comms, sounding urgent and concerned.

"Percy's causing another earthquake," Barry answered. He noticed cracks forming in the ground. They were small, but there, and not good.

"The city isn't getting any damage," Cisco reported. "Maybe he's containing it?"

"I hope so," Barry muttered.

The metahuman ran over a crack, careful not to trip. Where were they? Before, he might've followed the tire tracks. Now? He wouldn't be able to see them. The soil was being shaken and leaves were beginning to cover most of the ground. So he had to stick with memory and go by the general direction the tracks went. After a second, he had something else to go by.

He heard yelling.

Following the sound of the fight, he found the scene moments later.

A moving truck was on its side. Kayla was telekinetically attacking, throwing things things at Annabeth, but she kept missing. Annabeth was dodging, successfully avoiding the attacks, and seemed steadier on her feet than Kayla was. The metahuman girl looked like she was barely avoiding falling over. Barry understood why.

It was here the earthquake was strongest. Cracks littered the ground. The speedster found himself struggling to stay upright. And it was all because of Percy.

The son of Poseidon was off to Barry's left, kneeling, his sword plunged into the ground. With his eyes squeezed shut, the boy's face was a mask of concentration. How long he'd be able to keep that concentration... Barry wasn't sure.

Hearing a frustrated scream, the speedster shifted his attention and saw it came from Kayla. She'd missed Annabeth again. Acting on anger, she turned towards the truck and held out her hands.

Oh no.

Kayla lifted it with her powers. She looked at Annabeth, then hurled the truck at her.

Barry moved.

He ran towards Annabeth, snatching her up in his arms. Not even a second later, they were both safely out of the way. Behind him, the truck crashed into the trees. He set the blonde down on her feet.

"Thanks," she breathed.

Barry nodded, then had the air knocked out of him. Kayla had shoved him back, away from the daughter of Athena. He hit the ground, rolling to a stop on his stomach. He clenched his jaw and went to get up. The second he tried, he got shoved back down. He gasped. It was a strange feeling. A load of invisible pressure of holding him in place, even though nothing was there.

"I TOLD YOU TO STAY OUT OF THIS!" Kayla screeched while the pressure built up on top of him. It grew stronger and heavier. Barry's situation was quickly growing from uncomfortable to painful.

He couldn't move. He couldn't even do small things, like turn his head. He was stuck in place, his cheek pressed against the rattling ground. Nonetheless, the speedster struggled. Or tried to. The Flash tried to fight the invisible hand crushing him into the ground, but nothing was happening. He pushed, and pushed, and pushed-

Then he was up.

The pressure was gone. Confused about his sudden release, Barry got into a crouch. Muscles tense, he looked around. He spotted what had happened quickly.

Kayla was on the ground, in a similar position to the one he'd just been in. Annabeth's knee dug into her back while the blonde secured the custom handcuffs Cisco had made. Barry slowly stood up while Annabeth finishing putting them on Kayla. Once she was done, she looked up at the superhero. "You okay?" She checked.

Barry nodded. "Yeah - Yeah, I'm good." His eyebrows furrowed behind his mask in wonderment. "How did you...?"

"You dropped them when she shoved you," Annabeth answered, a faint smirk starting to appear on her lips.

Barry grinned a little, then looked at Kayla as she grumbled, "What ARE these things?"

"Those," he answered while Annabeth hauled the young girl up, "are going to make sure you don't hurt anyone."

Kayla glared at him, but didn't say anything else.

Barry looked around, noticing something. The earthquake had stopped. That, or it had quieted until it wasn't noticeable. He glanced at Annabeth, silently checking, You good with her? When Annabeth nodded, he walked away from her and the newly captured meta.

He found Percy with his forehead rested against his sword hilt, breathing heavily. Slowly, Barry placed a hand on the boy's shoulder, a little worried about startling him. Percy didn't jump, thankfully. He turned his head and looked up at the scarlet speedster. "Done now?" He asked, voice quiet from exhaustion.

Smiling, Barry nodded.

Percy breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank the gods," he muttered.

Lifting his hand off the demigod, Barry watched him stand up and yank his sword out of the ground. "I'm gonna look for my parents," he told Barry.

The meta nodded in understanding. "I'm taking Kayla to the Labs. We'll put her in a metahuman cell."

Percy nodded. Then, together, the pair walked back to Annabeth and Kayla Victor.

Barry couldn't keep a smile off his face.

They'd won.

*****

A/N: Wow, guys! I've been working on this for over a year and it's... We're here! Everything is getting tied up. We're close to the end. Thank you for all your kind comments and encouragement! Your comments are a HUGE part of why I kept writing this story.

I'm working on the next chapters and will get them up asap! Until next time, my awesome readers!

-Belle