Chapter Twenty-Six - Percy

Percy stared at the vehicle. "Why is she driving a moving truck?" He whispered.

Technically, Kayla wasn't driving it. She was standing atop it, the height allowing her more visibility. Percy and Annabeth ducked behind a tree, avoiding her gaze for now. Percy adjusted his grip on his sword, heart pounding from being this close to the enemy. He looked at Annabeth.

She fingered the hilt of her dagger and glanced towards the direction of the farmhouse. Percy could still see the smoke in the sky. It made him wonder how successful Barry was being at putting out the fire and how long it'd take. Already, they were pushing things, being so close to Kayla.

Percy pressed his lips together. Barry had to get the cuffs on Kayla. Until he did, she'd try to kill them.

Something sparked in Percy's mind. It was an awful idea. A terrible one, really. There was no telling how well it'd work and it was dangerous enough already. It was the only thing he had at the moment though.

Resting the tip of his sword on the ground, the demigod knelt, tightening his grip on his weapon. Feeling a hand, he looked up and saw Annabeth frowning down at him, a rare look of confusing dancing in her eyes. What are you doing? Her expression asked.

Percy flashed a small smile, hoping it was reassuring, but even he could tell it was forced. I got this, he tried to convey. Annabeth still looked uncertain, but after a moment, she removed her hand. She trusted him. He smiled slightly again and, this time, it was a little more genuine. Then he bowed his head and closed his eyes.

He remembered last night. The storm that'd been inside of him, how he hadn't been able to control it. He had to control it this time. He would.

There was a tug in his gut. It was different than the other time he'd used his powers. It pulled harder. The feeling spread throughout Percy. He felt the thrum of energy in his arms, in his feet on the ground, in his chest. It was wild, almost. He didn't stop it.

His grip on Riptide tight, he pushed down, slowly burying the tip into the dirt. To the others, it wouldn't look like anything was happening. Not yet. Percy would change that.

He didn't remember much of last night, when he'd heard his mom had been taken. It'd been a whirlwind of emotions. He thought about the feeling of power, how much of it there'd been. He called it back now and poured his emotions into it.

His stress over this whole affair.

His knuckles turned white.

The fear that Kayla could hurt Annabeth and Barry.

His jaw clenched.

The ground beneath him started to shake. Those standing on it would be able to tell. Others wouldn't. It was only a little. But it was growing. Percy felt it happening. He felt the earth starting to quake harder, he heard the leaves on the tree branches rustle together. It wasn't enough though. He needed more.

He thought about his parents. The anger that Kayla would DARE to lay a finger on them rushed back, filling him like a storm. He embraced the feeling. It fed into the energy in him, the power. He felt it all inside of him.

With a yell, Percy shoved his sword down and unleashed hell.

*****

A/N: Look, a new chapter! *Throws confetti* YAY! Aaaand I have news! My FOURTH BOOK released!!! *EXCITED SQUEALING*

Rise of the Olympians Vol. 4 IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON, KOBO, NOOK, AND APPLE. It hit #17 in "Short Stories" on Amazon!!! :D Help me bump that number higher! The entire series, including pre-orders, are on sale for $0.99!! And the first book is FREE! Go grab 'em! A summary of the series is in my bio, along with a link to the books. :D