Chapter 22

He was smiling. And my stomach did that little flip thing it always does when his cheek dimpled.

But I was studying it too hard, wondering if the lift of his pink lips was genuine, if he was just humoring my friends, who were so taken with him, I was left to wonder if they even liked me at all. They certainly never fawned over me the way they were currently fawning over him.

And that made me very, very nervous.

I'd assured Harry that they would be fine, discreet, that none of them would give us away, that none of them would even really know who he was. Not that he'd really been nervous anyway. I was the one who couldn't seem to get a handle on my anxiety.

Obviously for good reason - the second we'd walked into Julian's apartment, Shantal's jaw dropped open, her wide eyes moving quickly over Harry before meeting mine, a glint in them I'd never seen. Everyone else's eyes were quick to follow, and it was like the energy in the room - tangibly calm, with only a buzz of excitement as we'd entered -  shifted entirely, the shock registering on everyone's faces (except for Julian and David) also filling the air with a silent wonderment despite the blaring music.

And I immediately regretted bringing him. I immediately regretted coming at all, and cursed him (and myself) for talking me into it.

"So," Shantal said, once I had downed most of the drink in my hand. She sidled up close to me on the couch, but I didn't shift my focus from Harry, as if my eyes alone would prevent anyone from saying or doing anything inappropriate to, or in front of him.

Shantal didn't continue her thought, and even though I knew what she was going to say (generally, anyway), I asked, my voice tight with anxiety, "What?"

She looked flustered, blinking several times before bringing a hand up and twirling a strand of dark hair around it, "So... he's Harry Styles, right?"

I glanced at her before looking right back at him, watching as he took a sip of his drink from a plastic cup that had been handed to him. He was so damn beautiful. It was no wonder everyone had immediately taken notice of him. He ran his hands through his hair then, and he was quiet now, listening intently as Conor went on about something, hands flailing to aid his description. I knew it had to be something ridiculous he was talking about, but it was amazing how kind Harry was.

From the minute I met him, I knew he was genuinely interested in what I had to say. Knew he was giving me his full attention. And I could see the same interest, the same genuine look in his eyes now as Conor spoke - had been able to see it every time he met someone new. Harry was someone who just liked people, and I found myself wondering, not for the first time, what it was he saw in me.

"I guess that's a stupid question," Shantal went on when I didn't answer, but I didn't even have time to look at her or feel guilty about it, because Harry had glanced my way.

Conor was still going on about something, Julian laughing along with him, but Harry was no longer paying attention - he was smiling at me, his dimples showing in each cheek.

My breath picked up, my heart, too, and my insides felt like they were liquefying. Flashes of him hovering above me, the feel of his panting breaths on my neck, the moist heat of his body pressed against mine, the hard length of him filling me again and again - my senses were going into overdrive, and I hoped he could see in my eyes just how badly I wanted to be alone with him. How badly I wished we hadn't come. How badly I wished we'd just stayed in my bed...

"Maddie?"

"Wha- Yeah?"

Shantal looked concerned when I met her eye, but it seemed my thoughts were perfectly evident to her the longer she looked, and I had to quickly avert my gaze. It went right back to Harry, who seemed to have reengaged in his conversation with the boys.