Chapter 25

"I'll have the prime rib, please."

"Prime rib?!" Will exclaimed, glaring at me from over the top of his menu. "On my dime?!"

I laughed and handed the waiter my menu. "Let's remember which one of us is the broke college student, shall we?"

Will sputtered for a moment. "I -"

"Oh, shut up, Will," Jenny said, handing the waiter her menu as well. "We invited her to dinner for God's sake."

"That doesn't mean she has to order the most expensive thing on the menu," he said through his teeth.

I smiled right at him. "That is exactly what it means, right Lilly-girl?"

"Right!" she said, leaning into me and hugging my arm from her booster seat. I kissed the top of her head, happy to be here with them, and all too pleased with myself for already having pissed Will off.

He sighed loudly and leaned back, his arm around his wife's chair. "Well, it doesn't mean I have to like it."

He was pouting. And I was enjoying it way too much.

"Never said you had to." I watched Lilly color for a few moments before voicing the question that had been on my mind since I'd received Will's invite via text. "So, what's up?"

Both Will and Jenny looked taken aback. "What do you mean?" she asked, looking way too excited for me to believe that they'd only invited me to dinner out of the kindness of their hearts.

I leaned back, prepared to lay it out for them. "Our dinners together are usually relegated to Mom and Dad's dining room, so I'm assuming there's something you wanted to tell me, or break to me. But if it's bad news, please just... wait until dessert. I need to eat my feelings with something chocolate if it's bad news."

Will smiled at me. "It's not bad news."

My eyes locked onto his hand, which was now wrapped around Jenny's shoulder. Then I flicked my gaze up and over to Jenny's face, and her eyes were on the table, a smile pulling at the corners of her lips. And Will was watching her, his own smile wide, a tenderness lighting up his eyes.

"Are you pregnant?" I asked, not entirely sure of myself, but going with the feeling anyway.

Jenny's eyes widened, and her smile dimmed a bit as she met my eye, "Wha- You... how did you know?!"

"You're pregnant?!" I practically screeched, leaning forward across the table, and eyeing both of them — their smiles were uncontrollable as they looked from me to each other.

Jenny nodded. "About two months along, but we just couldn't wait any longer to say anything." She was beaming, and I wondered how I didn't notice it before. Wondered why I didn't see the way she carried herself, the way she disappeared to the bathroom more often than usual, the way she touched her belly the way she was touching it now.

"Oh my God," I breathed through my fingers, wanting to get up and kiss both of them, my own excitement bubbling up something fierce inside of me. Because there would be another one of us now, a brother or sister for Lilly, another little nugget to love. It was all too much. "Did you tell Mom and Dad?"

Will shook his head, his lips pressed together in a smile he couldn't suppress, even at the mention of Mom. "We wanted you to be the first to know."

"I'm the first -" I was breathless, so honored, so excited, so... "Wait... you haven't told anyone else?"

Jenny had my hand in hers now, and she rubbed it thoughtfully for a moment before smiling up at me. "We wanted the woman who we hope will be our baby's godmother to be the first to know."