Chapter 40

"Madelyn," my mother said, her tone scolding. "Don't just sit there. Help Jenny."

"No, I'm fine," Jenny said, holding her belly as she straightened. I helped her push her chair back anyway. "I've got it, thanks though."

She smiled down at me just as my mother said, "Let her help you, Jenny. Maddie doesn't mind."

I didn't, but that didn't mean I didn't mind having my mother speak for me.

"I know, I just..." Jenny looked down at her belly, her hands still surrounding it like she was protecting it. "I hate everyone fussing over me."

"You're seven and half months pregnant," Mom said. "We're allowed to fuss a little."

Jenny smiled a bit. "I guess. But I've been getting up every two seconds to pee. You don't have to help every single time."

"But -" Mom started, and Jenny cut her off.

"I'm fine, I promise."

She was waddling away then, but she must've heard when my mother said to Will, "Maybe you should go with her. Just in case she needs -"

"What? Someone to wipe her? She's pregnant, Ma, not incapable."

"I know, I just..." Mom stared after Jenny with a look of clear concern on her face. "I worry."

I glanced at Harry then, and he tried to suppress a smirk, but had to use his hand to cover it up.

"What's so funny?"

Mom was looking at me now, and my own smile quickly fell. "Nothing."

She was quiet for a moment, but I could see that her wheels were turning. And they were turning quickly. "As far as I'm aware, I'm the only other person in this room who knows what Jenny's going through. So until any of the rest of you understand, it might be best to keep your opinions to yourself."

"But I didn't say anything!" I exclaimed.

I could see that Will and Mark, and even Emily were smirking out of the corner of my eye. It was typical, though. My mother only ever seemed to see me making a mistake. We were just finishing up dessert, and we'd made it through the whole meal without too many questions. Mom seemed taken enough with the idea of Mark and Emily being together not to fixate too much on me and Harry. But still, a good scolding was apparently long overdue.

"You didn't have to say anything," Mom said. "That grin said it all."

"Okay," I said, preferring to lie down and play dead than actually be killed.

Harry's hand squeezed my knee then, but I didn't look at him for fear of laughing once more. But I did glance across the table at Emily, and caught the quick press of her lips together, which made mine twist up before I forced them down again.

Mercifully, Jenny walked in then, distracting my mother as she lowered herself back into her seat, and reached over to brush a long strand of hair out of Lilly's eye.

"I'm just going to use the toilet," Harry said into my ear then, low enough for only me to hear.

"Ooh," I said just as quietly. "I love it when you talk dirty."

Harry's eyes widened, and he glanced around quickly to see if anyone had heard. "Not in front of your family, Mads," he said quietly.

"Says the man who wanted to have sex in his mother's house," I mumbled, barely moving my lips.

He smirked then, and gave my leg one last squeeze before standing. "Fair point."

"Oh, Harry, where are you going?" Mom asked, interrupting her conversation with Jenny about sleep cycles.