Chapter 12

"You look beautiful Belle." Paul smiled as he softly caressed my back while I locked my apartment door. I gently smiled back and mumbled a small thank you. I smoothed out my simple, knee-length navy dress as we silently walked down the hall towards the elevator. "So how was your day?" He asked, trying to fill the silence. "Melanie told me you weren't feeling well last night."

"Yeah I had a touch of something last night, but I'm ok. Just tired." I sighed. "But today was alright for me. What about you?"

"It was ok. Professor Chin was actually there today." He responded, making the two of us laugh a little as we got off and walked towards his car. "I was worried about you today though."

He softly held my arm, preventing me from opening the door, and turned me towards him. His light eyes looked into mine deeply as showed his concern for me. I couldn't help, but feel guilt gnaw angrily at my heart, making me look at the dirty pavement. "Isabelle." He called. I looked up and gave him a small smile. "Paul I'm fine. Really." My lips gave him a tender kiss on his cheek as I placed my hand on his jaw. Before I took my seat in his Audi, I gave him one more kiss, this time on his lips. "C'mon boy." I said playfully. "I'm hungry!" He looked at me a bit longer, before he smiled and hopped in on his side of the car.

The ride to the restaurant was comfortable as we made small talk. I was starting to think that this was a good idea. My mind wasn't stuck on... I wasn't having thoughts I wasn't supposed to.

I mentally chuckled.

I couldn't even say his name. How pathetic.

But it's for the best.

We arrived around 6:20 and were seated at a booth a little while later in a nice area by the band with a great view of the city and the restaurant. I felt myself relax as the smooth jazz played in the background while I sipped on my water with lemon as Paul did the same after our waiter walked away. "So what are you gonna do while I'm out of town?" He asked as he rested his arm behind me. "I don't know." I shrugged. "Probably hang with Melanie or Gale and Paige. Maybe stay with my parents for a weekend, hang with Lily."

"Hmm. Gale and Paige? Do they still not like Melanie?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows. I chuckled a bit. "Not at all."

I met my long time friends Gale and Paige in 9th grade when all three of us were on the track team. Not to brag, but we were the best sprinters at the time and because of that, we all stuck together even though we all are different from the other. Gale is a crazy party animal and a bit of a play boy. He has a different guy on his arm every other week, but swears he's not a heart breaker. I just giggle and ask for the name of his new victim every time he brings them around. But I don't blame him. He's got the most charming smile that could knock the boxers, or briefs, off of any guy and the tightest body I have ever seen with a great personality to tie it all together. Paige on the other hand, is my little bookworm. She always has her head in the books and is the smartest person I have ever meant. Even though she's 3 years younger than us, sitting happily at the age of 17, she's a lot smarter and more mature than a lot of people with her college degree in Biochemistry and Mensa membership. She's currently in med school at NYU while Gale and I are there as well as undergrad with majors in Human Sciences and English.

Melanie, on the other hand, is not liked very much by my friends and I don't know why. I've been asking for a while, but they always say things like 'We just have a bad feeling about her' or 'she just doesn't seem like a good person.' It wasn't until last year that they started to show how much they did not like Melanie and because of that, I try to keep the three away from each other. I don't get involved because that's between them, not me, but that doesn't mean my curiosity is completely lost.

"I don't understand why. She's great and she's always kind to everyone. I've never seen her do anything wrong or mean." He said, making me look at him with a cocked eyebrow. "What?" He asked.

"What's up with all that? You sound like you like her or something." I said, moving from him a bit. "Belle, come on." He sighed as his knee started to bounce, which meant that he was nervous. Why? I don't know.

"Don't 'Come on' me Paul. You know I wouldn't have said anything if that wasn't what I was picking up from you." I said, crossing my arms.

"Isabelle, it meant nothing. I was just stating the obvious. I mean seriously Belle. Have you ever seen her do anything bad? Has she ever been anything, but happy around people?" He asked, placing his hand on mine, trying to uncross my arms. I sighed before nodding my head. "You're right. I'm sorry for that, I just... haven't been myself lately." I mumbled as our waiter approached our table with our meals. "It's ok." He said before pecking my forehead. "And you said you were fine. You know you don't have to lie to me Belle."

"I know. I just need to handle these things on my own. I'll be ok Paul. Can we please just forget any of this happened?" I asked as I grabbed my eating utensils. A thought that made me very uncomfortable crossed my mind as I felt Paul put his arm back around my shoulder after he said he would drop it.

Did I want there to be something between them?

I shuddered a bit as I tensed, my heart starting to pound as the question made my stomach turn. I tried to ignore it as I took a bite of my meal, but the taste made me nauseated. I just couldn't believe I thought that.

The rest of dinner was mostly quiet as I listened to the band while Paul ate and caressed my shoulder. I had our waiter place my food in a to-go box so that I didn't waste the meal. I was so ready to go and couldn't be happier when we left and were on our way back to my apartment. Suddenly, Paul's phone goes off, breaking the calming silence in the car. He pulls it out and answers it as I quietly watch.

"Hello?"

"Wait, what?"

"Ok. Ok, ok, I'll be there as soon as I can." He said quickly with a bit of fear.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I reached for his hand, which he allowed, and caressed it to calm him down.

"That was Alex. He said Harvey was in an accident."