Chapter II: The Caged Bird

The twanging of a shamisen was the first thing that pulled my mind back to the present. The gentle voice of my fellow apprentice geisha also helped to do so. 

         " Ne, Yukina you seem to be awfully distracted this moment. We're about to begin our practice for our dance to be performed for some very important guests soon."

         " Sumimasen (Excuse me) I didn't realize I was getting distracted just now." 

          " It's fine. Come on, let's begin our practice for real," she replied as she resume her position on the shamisen.

         I took the starting position for my dance, arms outstretched and with a fan in each hand . The music played, and my body started moving on its own accord. 

        As I danced, streams of memory started running through my mind again. Here I am, an "entertainer-in-training" with main aim of learning how to please my future customers. However, there are times when I can't help but ask myself " Is this all I'm ever going to be?" 

         The moment this thought came to my mind was the time I began to look back on how I got to be in this situation... 

(6 years ago...)

          " From now on, this will be your new home," said the woman who had brought me here to Kyoto, right after she took me from my parents.

        " M-My new home?" I replied as my voice shook from anxiety and nervousness. 

         " That's right" the woman I know only as Obasan (Grandmother) answered. I call her that, since she never told me her real name. " Starting this day, you will live here and train to become a successful geisha in the future."

          " But I don't want to! I want to go back to my family!" I screamed, being so overcome with emotion.

          " Silence!" Obasan snapped. " That will only happen in your dreams! I paid dearly to acquire you so make yourself useful or else," she threatened. 

         As she was saying this, I found myself sprawled on the ground and also tasted the tang of blood in my mouth. I shivered, as I felt fear for the very first time in my life.

          " O-Okay, I will do as you say," I replied, seeing no other possible option at present.

         " Good, that's what I wanted to hear all along," Obasan said, with a smirk on her face.

          " Come, let's go and meet your new family."

         Family, huh? More like people who will enslave and use me just to satisfy their own caprices and whims... 

          As we continued to go to the inside of the geisha house, I felt as if my old life was being torn away from me, and a new one was thrust upon me...

          Time went by with me in my "new home". It was an understatement to sat that life here was rough. Most of the time I felt like I was headed into a life of being a lowly maid. 

          Life in the geisha training house, as I have mentioned, was difficult with the endless grueling chores. Besides this, I also had to learn the basics of the art of being a true geisha, mainly by observing the senior ones. That too, was not easy . Most of them regarded me as a mere servant. 

         Due to my current situation, I have learned a lot of things. Apparently, the best way to live is to take life one day at a time.

        Despite seemingly insurmountable odds, I survived. In a way, I learned not all people are entirely evil. I should know... Inspite of the "dog eat dog rule" in the world of the geishas, I found a friend I could truly lean on. And now, I believe, a new chapter of my life was about to begin. 

(End of Flashback)

          " Subarashi (Wonderful) Yukina," one of my fellow geikos (apprentice geishas) exclaimed. " You really are one of the best dancers here."

          " Well, not really," I said. " Actually, I still have so many things to learn." I was surprised not to notice that my dance had already ended. 

          " No, you really are one of the best." "With your skills, you can attract any man that you like," she added. 

          " Huh?!?!" I almost screamed, feeling the blood rush up to my face. 

          " Yes, it's possible." "And we have some very important guests coming over soon for a celebration." " We're also going to have our debut as official geishas at the same time."

           " Is that so?" I absently replied. 

           " Hai (Yes). Who knows? You might even meet someone who would make you fall for the first time."

          " I doubt it. "

          " Whatever you say. But no one really knows what will happen in the future."

          Fall in love, huh? What kind of nonsense is that? After all, I vowed to myself that I will never fall in love with anyone, as long as I'm alive.

(A/N: Finally got to post this after a delay of almost two weeks. Apologies for the slow update since I'm only able to go online for a long time on weekends. What with all the grades I have to submit since it almost time for the distribution of report cards. Anyway, till next week. ;-) Ja mata ne!