Chapter IV: A Night to Remember... ( Part I)

( A/N: Warning: Slightly romantic scene ahead... Happy reading, minna! If you feel like it, comment please. I would really appreciate it if you did... ☺)

Hajime's POV: 

          The party was for our successful mission was already ongoing after several hours. The night was still young, yet I am starting to feel extremely bored. Coming here was a bad idea. If I had any choice, I wouldn't have gone at all. I sat in a corner, with an untouched cup of sake to keep me company. This way, I wouldn't be obliged to mingle that much with the other people here.

          Several maikos have already approached and tried to flirt with me. They did not stay long, however, since my indifferent attitude drove them away. Usually, I'm not that averse to spending time and having a bit of fun with girls. Tonight, though, is a different time.

         It may be weird to many, but I am a loner by nature. There are only a few people I would love to be with.
         As the party wore on, I came to realize one thing. The maikos here have the same goal in mind: to find a man who would finance their careers as would-be geishas. Thus, they are doing everything they can to attract their target benefactors. They are prepared to give anything just to achieve this, including themselves.
          It seems that many of them have chosen me to be that man. Not to be arrogant or anything else, I can sense it by the way they interact with me.
          On the flip side, most of the men here also have almost the same agenda in mind. They are prepared to splurge, just to acquire a new past time or plaything.
         " Oi (Hey), Hajime." Someone called out my name, disturbing my silence. I knew. The ever annoying Renji has come.
          " Having fun yet, Hajime-kun? You've already had a fair share of maikos and geikos drooling over you," he said, accompanied by a pervy smirk.
          " You can have them all if you want. I'm not looking for someone to fool around with or satisfy my lust this time," I replied, sending a death glare at his direction.
          " Just kidding,Tsukiyama-kun. Don't be so uptight.After all, we're here to relax and enjoy ourselves."
         " Yeah right. Seems you're enjoying yourself a bit too much," I added noting his flushed face and tipsy posture.
          " Oh, cut it out will you Tsuki-kun? You yourself need to loosen up and goof around once in a while," Renji said.
          "Suit yourself. Do what you want," I replied.
           " That I will, Tsuki-kun. That I will," he blurted out as he sat down beside me.
           There goes my peaceful night.
          " Greetings to Lord Ashikaga's esteemed men. May I have your attention please?" I looked to where the voice came and found the head mistress of the maikos and geikos my master had hired to entertain us tonight.
         " This time, we are going to witness a dance performance by one of our okiya's* most promising maikos. Gentlemen, here's Yukina-san," she finished as a young maiko stepped into the room and took up the starting position for her dance.
          She started to dance, and soon after had everyone entranced by her movements. The way she danced conveyed a lot of things, including innocence and seduction. Try as hard as I did, I couldn't help but stare at her like the others did while she was dancing.
           Wrong move on my part... She must have sensed someone was watching her so intently. As luck would have had it, she tripped on the hem of her kimono, lost her balance and began to fall...

(A/N: Once in a while, I would be inserting words with asterisks on them to indicate Japanese words which may be unfamiliar to some readers.
*Okiya - a kind of training house where where one can study the arts of being a geisha.)