Chapter X: Turns Out to Be...

Hajime's POV:

"Hmmn... Wonder what time is it?" I mumbled, lazily stretching on my bed. The bright sun outside showed it was already late in the morning. Waking up this late is quite unusual for me. I'm usually up before the sun even rises most of the time.

It was a good thing my squad and I didn't have patrol duty today. Because of the celebration last night, Lord Ashikaga has declared today to be a holiday for his men.

"Time to get up." Honestly,it was the last thing I wanted to do. My head throbbed a bit, and I felt somewhat dizzy.

I was unaffected by the sake I had drunk last night. I just wasn't able to get enough sleep so now I don't feel so good.

I went straight to the bathroom to wash my face. Sliding the door open, I was confronted by a stark naked Yukina-san.

What the hell? I had somewhat forgotten she was with me last night. Hold on a minute, I can recall it now. I just assumed she had already left along with her mistress and colleagues.

Shock was evident on her face as she began to comprehend the situation. As for myself? I was surprised. I mean, it isn't everyday that I encounter a woman without a stich of clothing on her.

"Sumimasen (Excuse me). I didn't know you were in there. Mind getting dressed?" I turned around to give her some privacy.

"Hai (Yes) Tsukiyama-sama," she said, in a small muffled voice. Though my back was turned away from her, I could sense her putting her clothes back on."

"May I turn around now?" I asked, just to make sure she was decently covered.

"Hai (Yes), Tsukiyama-sama," she replied.

"I thought you'd already gone," I ventured to ask. "Would you like some breakfast and tea?" My steps were leading me to the kitchen as I said these words.

"It would be nice but... Ano (Uhm) Tsukiyama-sama... Is there... Did something... I mean last night..." Why are her words jumbling together?

What in the world is she trying to say? It's confusing. Then it dawned on me. Yukina-san's trying to ask me whether she and I... Despite my best attempt not to be amused by the situation, I couldn't help but flash a secret smile behind her back.

"What is it that you are trying to ask me, Yukina-san? Say it properly," I added, in a stern tone.

"What I mean, sir... In other words... To make the story short..." she continued, still unable to form her sentences fully.

"Come now... Speak up," I chided her. "Do you want to know what happened between us last night?"

Bingo. The blush which registered on her face confirmed my suspicions. "If you please, sir."

"Why don't you try and guess Yukina-san," I answered, deciding to tease her a little.

"T-then, we really did do it, sir?" she asked haltingly. Wait, is she trembling? Has my teasing gone a bit too far?

"Maybe. Maybe not. Why?" I was just bluffing. I would never take advantage of a somewhat innocent maiko, let alone a drunk one.

I know the reason why she is so concerned at the moment. If I had really slept with her, she would not be able to take part ij her mizuage.*

"Tsukiyama-sama... If something did happen between the two of us, then I'm in big trouble," she said while tears started to slowly trickle down her cheeks.

Matte (Wait). I've gone too far with my teasing her. It's not my intention to make her cry and yet she is. Time to own up and tell her the truth...

"Yukina-san. Listen, I have something important to tell you," I gently admitted. "Don't be afraid. Nothing happened between us last night," I confessed while looking into her eyes to show my sincerity.

"Honto ni? (Really?)," she mumbled, immense relief showing up on her face.

"Really. It was just a joke on my part, done in bad taste I'm afraid. I'm extremely sorry for that."

"No, it's also my fault, sir. I shouldn't have jumped straight into a conclusion without knowing the facts first," she ventured to explain.

"Is that so?" Finally, a girl with a lot of common sense. She may be clumsy and naive, but she is also a level-headed person.

" Hai. Besides, I know somehow know you wouldn't exploit others' weaknesses that needlessly," she concluded.

"Am I? I've never given it much thought before," I answered. This girl's really something else, I thought as a small smile appeared on my face. It's a good thing she couldn't see it, as my face was turned away from her.

"Excuse me for a little while, Yukina-san. I'm going to prepare our breakfast now," I said, resuming my trip to the kitchen.

"Choto Matte Kudasai (Please wait), Tsukiyama-sama. I'll do it, if I may," she mentioned.

"If you wish to do so," I replied. "And, by the way, you can call me by my first name."

"Wakarimashita (Understood) Tsukiyama-sama," she spoke, as she was scurrying to the kitchen.

"Yes call me by my given name, Yukina-san. After all, I have a feeling this will not be the last time we are going to see each other," I unconsciously whispered.

(A/N: Finally got to type and finish another chapter... Just so you know, I was almost tempted to add a slight lemon here... XD

On second thought, that can wait for much later. I still have to carefully map out the lime or lemon scene so it doesn't turn out to be vulgar or something of the sort.

Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed making it. ;-) )

*Mizuage - A sort of bidding contest where men can vie for the virginity of a maiko.

Not entirely sure, whether this was actually practiced before. For this and my other stories, let's pretend it was.