Chapter XI:She Makes You...

Renji's POV:

          *Yawn* *Sigh* What the heck? I'm still very sleepy, and I really don't know why I'm always like this every morning. Maybe I'm a night person by nature.

          "Ichi, ni, san! (One, two, three!) Swing your katanas a bit harder! Keep your backs straight and your feet evenly spaced apart!" Wait, who was that stern voice issuing those commands? Sounds familiar, but being sleepy has dulled my concentration a bit.

          Might as well. check out who the voice belongs to... Oh, it's Hajime. He's supervising the morning training of his squad.

          Geez, he really could be a slave driver at times. Nevertheless, his drive and determination to succeed are also the qualities which makes him excellent in almost all aspects. In fact, they are what gave him the edge to be promoted as a squad captain at a young age.

          "Still the incessant workaholic aren't you?" I muttered to myself. Shall I talk and chat with him now? Nah, I'll do it later. Right now, I'm having a lot of fun observing my taciturn bestfriend.

          Something's quite different about you," I mentioned to myself, as I continued stare at him. Something's off with Hajime, as he hasn't noticed my presence up to now.

          Dang, what so unusual about him this day? Aha! That's it.  He's wearing a small smile on his face. This is so unlike him, who always has a dead serious aura in public.

         Wonder what is making him relatively so happy? I'm pretty sure it's not the exemplary performance of his squad on missions. That's pretty much a given, considering the rigorous training he puts them under.

         "I think I've got it," I uttered, not noticing the grin which appeared on my face.

          Yeah, I think I've cracked the secret to Hajime's somewhat relaxed mood today. He's seems to have lightened up ever since he crossed paths with the maiko Yukina-san. Is it possible he's beginning to grow slightly fond of her? They've met only a month ago, but still...

          "Good work, everyone. I'll see you later." Finally, they're done training. Time to interrogate my bestfriend.

         I placed my arm around his shoulder when I had at last caught up with him. "Yo, Hajime! Looks like you're done training for the day."

         "As you can very well see," he repplied, all the while wiping the sweat that trickled down his face.

         "Have you had breakfast yet," I inquired, while we were making our way to the dining hall.

         "No. I've only had a cup of tea upon waking up," he replied. "I'm starving now, actually."

         "Let's walk faster then. By the way, you seem happy today," I mentioned.

          "Why do you say so?" he asked, with  a curious expression evident on his face.

          "It's because you were smiling while supervising your squad's training earlier" I explained.

         "Is that something so unusual?" he asked. Tsk, tsk... You're smart Hajime, but at times you could be so dense.

          "If it's you, I believe it is." I'm sure of it, trust me. "You're mostly in a serious mood when you're training your squad."

          "And what you're trying to say is...?" For goodness sake, Hajime, get the point already.

         "I mean something or someone is causing you to become happy." There! I've said to your face.

         "Really?" Man, how thick-headed could this guy be sometimes.

         "Really, Hajime. I've noticed it when Yukina-san and you meet each other." If this doesn't make things clear for him, I don't know what else will.

           "Don't be absurd, Ren. Stop imagining things," he said to his defense. I'm not imagining things dude. You're just unaware of it.

          "Come on, Hajime. There's no harm in admiting you're interested in someone," I chided.

          Jig's up, Hajime. Admitting it won't kill you. "Fine, I admit I'm slightly curious about her," he finally said.

         "I see. I heard she spent a night with you. Did you get some?" I teased.

         "How disgusting can you get, Ren? Nothing happened. She's still a maiko, remember?" he reminded me.

          "Yeah, that's correct. She's bound to follow the mizuage thingy, isn't she?" I asked.

          "Yes, so let's not think of laying even a single finger on her, shall we?" he warned.

          Sure, if you say so, Hajime. "By the way, I'm glad you got to know Yukina-san. She makes you different, in a good way." Ok, time for a hypothetical question "Just a thought, Hajime. Would you be willing to be her mizuage patron, just in case?"

          Satisfaction coursed through me as I watched Hajime struggle to think of what his reply to me would be. Let's see how long you can keep denying to yourself, Hajime-kun.

          "Yes. At least, I know I'll try my best to be gentle with her when that time ever comes, unlike other men," he answered.

          With his reply, I knew... Good for you, my dear friend. He may be quite unaware of his feelings at times, but I'm pretty sure this time. He's grown fond of Yukina-san.

(A/N: Another chapter typed and ready to be published. Mission accomplished!

          So this is what happens when Ren notices Hajime unconsciously developing feelings of affection for Yukina and points it out to him explicity.
           Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter as much as I did making it. Have a good day and see you next time. 😉)