Armin X Eren

(Armin X Eren. Romance: sweet. Era: Titan Era)

*scene of waiting room in last episode*

The room rang with silence, only penetrated by the occasional tings of spoon against ceramic. Armin, Eren, Mikasa, and Jean stood in the tension filled room. Suddenly, a loud clang filled the air followed by a cuss word. Everyone's attention turned to Eren.

"Shit," Eren muttered. "I could've done something. I could've answered all our questions. But when I saw her...UGH. I'm such an idiot."

He began to bang his head against his palm. Mikasa hand shot out and grabbed his hand, stopping him from further damage.

She spoke softly. "It's okay, Eren. Not everyone can handle all that pressure that you had. I can tell that she...meant something to you. It's not your fault."

Armin pressed his lips together. It was indeed Eren's fault they lost the chance to gain answers but he didn't want to remind Eren of his faults again so Armin kept his lips together.

Suddenly, the door opened and a man appeared in the frame.

"Mikasa and Jean. The king wants you two questioned again," he explained.

They shared a look and followed the man out, shutting the door after them. Armin stared after them, lost in thought until a cracking sound jerked him to reality. Eren sat with his head bent over his food tray, a piece of it broken off and crushed in his hand. A spoon soon replaced it and started to bend dangerously, threatening to break. Armin quickly seated himself next to the bed and covered Eren's hand in his own.

He spoke softly. "Eren, you can't trouble yourself with this. You're still not fully recovered."

Eren's grip on the spoon relaxed at those words but then tightened again. He spoke with a trembling voice. "I messed everyone up. I could've done something every one of those times. Petra and Oluo and..."

Tears landed on the sheets. Under Armin's hand, the spoon began to bend. Armin sighed and grabbed a napkin from the tray. He used it to wipe away the tears gently. "Eren," he started, "It's true you could've done something, but as Captain Levi said, we don't know what could come out of your own actions. Fate destined his group to not make it. And there's nothing you can do to change it so please, put your mind to the present."

Eren's hand shot out, gripping Armin's and surprising him. "Promise," Eren choked out, "promise that you won't die. That you'll stay with me until the end."

Armin paused for a second, almost shocked at his words. He replaced the shock with a smile and placed his hand over Eren's with a gentle smile. "I promise."

Eren met his eyes and weakly smiled back, some of the grief behind it gone and only leaving the emerald green of his eyes. He slid his hand out from under Armin's and laid down on his bed, an arm bringing up to drape itself over his head.

"Thank you, Armin," he breathed, silently slipping off into a slumber.
Armin watched him, a distant smile still playing on his lips. "Sleep, well, Eren."

-------------------------------------

Eren groaned and sat up, hand reaching up to massage his neck. A god awful crick resided there and he rolled his shoulders to make it go away. Eren yawned and glanced over at the window. The full moon shone high in the sky.

"Crap," he muttered. "I woke up in the middle of the night."

Eren moved to get out of the bed when he realized his leg was caught under something heavy. Eren let his eyes adjust to the darkness and saw someone draped over his leg, their hair shining brightly in the moonlight.