Chapter 3 | The Mystery Shack

Your P.O.V

Running wasn't my thing, so I was basically gasping for breath when we got to the shack. The Mystery Shack, or shall I say Mystery Hack because the "S" was on the ground, seemed to be a nice place. Right as we entered I was stunned by the many knick-knacks that were piled on the shelves. The attractions were silly but effective.

It wasn't very busy at the moment but I could see that the few tourists that were there were in awe. At the cash register was a boy that looked exactly like Mabel (only less sparkly) in a blue and white hat with a blue pine tree on it. He was talking to a girl who seemed several years older than him. She wore a green flannel and had long red hair.

Before I could do anything, Mabel took my hand and led me to the vending machine. I smiled at the boy and girl, as I passed. The boy's eyes seemed to widen a bit in panic. It's just a vending machine, why is he so worked up?

Mabel let go of my hand when we were in front of the vending machine and walked to its side. She did a weird little dance and said, "Bibadee bop bam!" The vending machine's door swung open and Mabel grabbed a bag of candy. "Here you go, I owe you." I accepted it with a smile.

I opened the bag while she walked up to the boy and girl at the counter. She nodded her head, a signal for me to come over, and that's what I did. "Y/N, meet my brother Dipper and our friend Wendy!"

I gave them a small wave, "Hi, I'm Y/N, like Mabel said."

"Hey man!" Wendy exclaimed. She smiled, it was obvious from the way she talked and did things she was pretty laid back.

"Mabel can I speak with you?" Dipper asked.

"What you need brobro?"

"Mabel... Alone." Mabel frowned but followed Dipper to a door that was marked "Employees Only".

I awkwardly stood there not knowing what to say, but knowing I was not welcome in Dipper Pine's eyes.

"Dipper isn't normally like that. But don't take it personally he's got a lot of family issues going on at the moment," I heard Wendy say.

I turned to her, "What about Mabel?"

"She tends to look on the bright side of things," she laughed.

"I guess I should've figured that out."

Wendy picked up the magazine lying next to her, leaned up against the cash register, and began to read. I played my H/L, H/C hair while I waited for Mabel and Dipper to come back.

The longer they took the louder they became (Dipper's voice occasionally cracked once or twice). I was starting to hear a couple phrases like: "She's just a random girl, Mabel!" And some words like "Bill", "Ford", and "trust".

It took maybe five to seven minutes before they came back. Dipper looked defeated and Mabel was smiling her usual smile. In the corner of my eye, I saw Wendy shift uncomfortably. I mimicked her action because it was obvious tension was in the air. To be honest, it felt more like the air was tension it self and I was slowly suffocating.

I looked down at my wrist-which had no actual watch-and said, "My aunt and uncle are probably expecting me home by now." When those words came out, immediately I felt a small hint of regret, but it seemed to satisfy Dipper.

"Oh okay," Mabel's smile faltered, "its across town right? Maybe we could take the golf cart back."

"Um, sure."

Wendy waved goodbye, while Dipper left the room. Mabel led me to the golf cart. We drove at a pretty slow pace and didn't say much the whole time.

When I was finally home, I simply walked up to my room and jumped on to my bed. I stared at the ceiling until Aunt Meg finished cooking dinner.

~After Dinner~

I wasn't really mad about the whole Dipper situation, it just kind of made me tired. I mean nobody likes it when someone hates them. It might have been seconds, minutes, or hours that I just lied in bed listening to my music playlist.

After my little music session, I finally had enough energy to lift myself off the bed to start unpacking. When I had gotten back from the shack, a dresser and nightstand had been moved into my room.

I started first unpacking my clothes, then some furniture, etc. My phone rang, startling me. I looked at the caller ID but it wasn't anyone I knew. Slowly, I reached for the phone and answered it.

"Hi!" I heard a familiar giddy voice say.

"Mabel?"

"Yep that's me!"

"How'd you get my number?"

"It wasn't hard," she remarked. What was that suppose to mean? "Anyway, I know Dipper may have acted badly, but I really hope you don't mind coming over tomorrow?"

"Yeah totally," I said eagerly.

"You could meet my friends, Grenda and Candy. They are party animals," she laughed.

"Sounds really fun, Mabel."

"Yeah, come over whenever!" And she hung up. When is whenever?