46. Walmart?

Thursday came and went, and I had yet to acknowledge any of Trevor's calls or text messages. I was still feeling stupid for falling for his tricks. I'd definitely been wrong about him. To think that he could so easily find someone else before things even began between us had my mind reeling. He was just like all the other guys: a lying, cheating, manipulator. Maybe he had planned this all along—pull me in, get close to me, make me feel safe and secure—only to destroy me. It was a surprise attack and the outcome proved that Trevor Nixon lacked any compassion; he only wanted revenge.

I was in a constant state of funk. I didn't want to sleep. I didn't want to run, play my violin, or eat Skittles. Things were bad, very bad. I'd gone for a late night walk last night and had come back to find a basket full of Gummy Bears, Twizzlers, and M&M's sitting on my bed. I knew they were from Mercy because she'd been throwing me sympathetic looks all day. She never pushed me to talk, though, and I so appreciated her for that. She understood my need for space.

Lightning had texted me last night, reminding me of the plans on Friday. I had been tempted to decline, but after two days of seclusion, my body was in need of some social interaction. Maybe it would help get my mind off the gloom that had settled over me.

Now, I'm waiting at the front of my dorm for Lightning to meet me. He says he's got the day planned, and I'm not going to want to miss a split second of it. I'm tapping my foot against the pavement while I count down each minute that goes by. I'm completely absorbed in my own pitiful thoughts when a boisterous voice shakes me out of my misery.

"You're here!" Lightning exclaims, jogging up to me and giving me a playful punch on the shoulder. I smile back, and thankfully, he doesn't notice how unauthentic it appears. "You ready for the most memorable day of your life?" he asks.

I doubt this will top Tuesday night with Trevor, but I'm willing to humor him.

"Let's see what you got," I shoot back as I bump his shoulder with my own.

He motions for me to follow him and I'm grateful that I can rely on his overly outgoing personality to keep the conversation going since I don't have the energy. He leads me across campus to a little red Pontiac that has a cute blonde leaning against the side. She waves as we approach.

"Emma, meet my girlfriend Mallory, Mallory—Emma," Lightning bellows, performing the typical introduction with animated hand gestures.

I reach out to shake her delicate little hand.

"Hi, Emma. It's so nice to finally meet you." Her voice is soft, yet confident. Her pure smile brings instant comfort, and I can't help but feel welcomed.

"You too," I respond. I'm smiling before I can even stop myself. "How long have you two been dating?"

They both look at each other with glowing faces before Lightning answers.

"Six years. High school sweethearts and all that." He almost looks embarrassed, and I watch with yearning as Mallory slides her hand around his forearm.

She smiles warmly at him before directing her twinkling eyes at me. "Are you ready to see what Theo's got planned for us?" she asks excitedly as Lightning makes his way around to the driver's side of the car.

His head pops up at the question, and he shoots me a panicked look.

"Theo?" My eyes dart between Lightning and Mallory to see who will answer.

Mallory turns to face Lightning, and I can see the disappointment in the frown on her lips. "Really?" she sighs. "You didn't tell her?"

Lightning scratches his head and mimics her sigh before resting his gaze on me again. "My real name's Theo." He shoots a glare at Mallory before looking back at me.