12. I'm Sorry, Emma

My lungs immediately try to reject the water, but in order to cough I need air in my lungs to exhale, and once again I inhale a lungful of water. In my fight to pull air into my body I don't realize I'm not going to find oxygen under the water, and the fight for breath continues until it dawns on me that I'm drowning. In my panic, I can't seem to get my brain to work as I breathe and cough water while struggling for survival.

I turn frantic when I feel a set of arms start tugging on me. I'm tearing and clawing at the arms, hoping that they will lead me upwards to where my life support awaits. I'm yanked abruptly from near death. Someone is holding me tightly while I sputter and gasp. My body struggles to cooperate, and I'm finally able to get in one good cough that launches the liquid from my lungs. I gulp in the air around me.

When I've got myself somewhat under control, I notice that I'm being dragged through the water towards the edge of the lake. He must notice that I've stopped hacking up my lungs because we stop, and he looks back at me.

I meet Trevor's troubled green eyes. We stare at each other for a moment and then he pulls me to him. I don't think before I find myself grabbing onto him and tightly wrapping my arms around his neck. I can feel myself shaking, but feeling his arms tighten around my waist only magnifies my tremor. One of his arms moves up my back and then his hand lightly grips my neck before pulling my head closer to his chest. I instantly tense before pulling myself away from his touch. His hand drops to my shoulder, the other gripping my waist.

We're right at the edge of the lake where the water is shallow enough that we can both stand easily, but I have no energy to move. Fighting for my life ironically drained the life right out of me. I don't realize that I've started crying until Trevor's fingers wind themselves into my hair where he lightly massages the back of my head. I don't pull away this time.

"I'm sorry, Emma," he murmurs into my hair. "I'm so sorry."

I struggle to reign in my emotions before pulling back just enough to look at his worried face. My lips tug up into a gentle smile, but I know he can see the terror dancing behind my eyes.

"It... it's fine," I stutter out around a hiccup. "You didn't know my body was going to try and drown itself." I laugh timidly.

Trevor smiles back tenderly, but it doesn't quite meet his eyes. I can see the regret and panic hidden beneath his calm exterior. I can understand some panic, but he seems genuinely scared. His grip is tight, and his body solid. He won't let me go, and I though I'm not complaining in the slightest, I can't fathom why he's so worked up.

I suck in a breath as his fingers graze the skin of my stomach. I'm positive that he notices my reaction, but he doesn't pull away. He watches me for a moment; nearly dazed. He stares, but it's as if he's not really seeing. He's stuck, his mind elsewhere, and I realize that I know this look, because I've experienced it far too many times myself.

He's remembering something.

It only lasts a few seconds, and then the moment is gone. He blinks, narrowing his eyes as his fingers slide further around me, tightening just a bit. It's not an obvious movement and yet the action is so significant. Our breathing mingles together for a moment before Trevor seems to gain his senses back.

He doesn't loosen his hold on me completely, but something has changed. The intimacy of the moment has vanished.

"You think you'll be able to make it back up?" he asks, motioning with his head towards the edge of the lake where the path begins.

I nod a few times, slowly.

"Yeah. I think I'll be okay." 

Trevor releases his hold on my waist but grabs my arm to keep me steady as we climb our way back to shore.