Induction

"One must cleanse their soul with mercury before entering the land of the Jade Emperor."

A lotus flower
Blooms amongst the clear water
Soon to be seduced.

---

Chang Jia Xin peeked out from underneath the silk curtains of the palanquin. She was greeted by the white expanse of concrete that was the Front Court. Leaning back into the hard, wooden chair, she sighed.

The men carrying her carriage passed by the Gate of Supreme Harmony, sealing her freedom away with it. Gone were the days when she'd be able to frolic around in the rivers with him.

She was adorned in gold-encrusted, jade, and rich silks and garments - none of which were richer than the love she had for Ma Yuan. Images of broad, work-hardened muscles attached to a tall body flitted through her mind.

A booming voice bellowed through her thoughts, "THE HONOURABLE CONCUBINE JIA XIN ENTERS THE DOMAIN OF THE JADE EMPEROR." Jia Xin felt her stomach lurch as the curtains were parted to reveal the stern face of an aged eunuch. The palanquin bearers lowered her onto the ground, and the eunuch extended an arm to help her up.

Jia Xin accepted his offer, allowing him to lead her up limestone steps to the looming opening of the palace. Her knees threatened to collapse under her and the heavy jewels she wore did not help with her predicament. She could feel several sets of eyes on her, silently judging her.

"Raise your head, concubine." She finally mustered up the courage to lift her eyes and met the face of the glowing Empress Jinn. On her hair sat a glorious golden phoenix with its wings spread out across her elaborate up-do. Rumours had told her that the empress was a kind yet firm woman who upheld her values with honour.

To her left stood a sneering young woman with less elaborate clothing, but the same air of pride.

"Remove your articles, child." Jia Xin was told to expect this, and obediently followed the order. She was stripped down to her toes and left to endure the hungry stares of the eunuchs and the scrutinising judgemental ones of the empress and her ladies.

After what seemed like an age, the empress glided into another room with her entourage. The scowling woman gestured for Jia Xin to follow. She was led into a gilded bathroom with a large tub in the centre. It was filled with rose petals and the aroma of jasmine.

"One must cleanse their body, mind and soul with the freshest waters. You will present yourself to the Jade Emperor tonight." The Empress and her maids left the room in a flourish. New maids entered, scrubbing her body down until she smelt like the roses she was bathed in. A silky, dark green gown was brought into the room. It had gold lotuses embroidered into the fabric. The maids circulated around her when she stepped out of the tub, drying her and dressed her in her extravagant gown.

They moved on to her hair, and as they gently combed through her hair, she was reminded of another set of hands running through her hair. Silent tears trickled down her porcelain cheeks as she accepted her fate without Ma Yuan.

---

The geisha, Ichisumi, sat in the centre of a dainty room. The room was large, compared to the mere cupboards shared amongst the slaves. Upon separating the sliding doors, one would notice the Japanese influence incorporated into its Chinese décor. Centred in the middle of the room was a chabudai; the short-legged table the geisha would use to serve her guests, instead of the traditional Chinese tea table one would find. Cherry blossoms bloomed on the partition screen that separated the sleeping quarters from the Centre of Tranquillity. Bonsai plants adorned the window sill that looked out onto the sun-lit courtyard, which was just as exquisite as the room itself.

It was no secret that the highly respected geisha lived in the same luxury that the royal family did. Like the governess, HuiZhong, of the royal children, Ichisumi too was a favourite of the queen.

Her movements appeared to be as if she were a floating cloud; effortless and graceful. Her hair was held up high in a Shimada. However, compared to other geishas, Ichisumi indulged in the beauty of floral ornaments that decorated her hair; gifts from her royal patrons. When in foreign land, one must do what one can to show their utmost respect to their benefactor.

"I've so much work to do; I really shouldn't be gossiping here with you. But I just can't help myself; the temptation is too great. My apprentice, that dull thing, is so utterly useless." Ichisumi had a guest, a friend in the palace, Xiulan. She was the palace's head chef, but behind her gentle smile, she hid her association with the underground palace network.

Ichisumi smiled, "Oh you must be patient with Wenbao, no human is born with the same abilities as another. And pitiful Wenbao is just on the weaker end of the entire human spectrum." The two women shared a laugh.

"But really, do tell me; how was the first meeting between the Queen and the concubine?" Xiulan queried. "I heard the girl is one of the finest amongst the noble families. And the richest."

The geisha gave a nod, "Yes, according to Eunuch Li, there was not a flaw on her body. Skin as smooth as the silk we wear and just as pale as winter's fresh snow."

"It seems the emperor may have a new favourite." Xiulan snickered.

"Oh we mustn't say that about the princess's lady in waiting." Ichisumi teased.

Xiulan sighed in admiration, "I really hope to meet this girl; she really seems like a true goddess. An easy life she has as well! While we must work to our deaths. Speaking of which, I really must get back to the preparations for the banquet."

"Are you sure?" Ichisumi smiled, "Don't you want to hear about the palace maid's affair with the imperial guard?"

"Oh do tell me about it!"

Just as the women were about to move on to the new gossip topic, a knock on the door interrupted them. "Come in." The geisha said calmly. Wenbao, Xiulan's rather challenged and slow apprentice stumbled, his angular legs intertwining like a twisted tree. He dared not to lift his eyes to meet the eyes of the Honoured Geisha and Head Chef, for his lowly status as a eunuch forbade him to do so, by law, unless commanded to.

"Head Chef Xiulan, there is a ruckus in the kitchen; the kitchen staff fear they cannot finish all the cooking in time."

Xiulan rolled her eyes, "Oh run along and help them then, will you? What use of coming all this way to tell me and waste more precious time?"

"But-" A glare from the impatient chef silenced the eunuch, who quickly bowed and scurried off.

Xiulan looked helplessly at her friend, "I guess we must organise another date. The kitchen calls for me, and I believe you have your own preparations to make for tonight's banquet." Her brown eyes darted towards kimono that hung in the geisha's dressing area near the back of her room. Albeit appearing very simple, it was gorgeous and intricate, with flowers blossoming at the foot of the kimono, creating the illusion of walking in a garden for the wearer. "I would've envied you had I not known what it takes to be a geisha." Then, with a sigh, the woman exited the room, in a hurry.

The Geisha smiled and bowed as her guest left the room before calling on her maids and dresser. "Come, we must prepare now."

---