New Encounters

"Strong you will be alone, but stronger will you be in numbers, among your loved ones and theirs."

Five women stand by

Awaiting  Heaven's counsel

Preparing for war.

Empress Tian sat upon her throne beside her disgraceful husband, a frown marring her strong features. Her new eunuch had announced the arrival of Scholar Lee's intellectual daughter. She was an honourable young lady who carried herself elegantly.

"Why do you request my presence, Gentle Daughter of Lee? The Jade Emperor has not requested your presence, or your father's for that matter." The young lady curtsied respectfully before the Jade Rulers.

"I fear for my brother's sanity, and the honour of my family." Empress Tian looked concerned. "I had an audience with the Thai Goddess, and was instructed to retreat to your Heavenly Palace."

There was a long silence following Jia Lin's explanation before the Empress flicked her hand to the side. A woman wearing a plain blue gown walked into the chamber, escorted by two tall guards. She had a stern expression on her face, one that Jia Lin suspected was always present, and dark black hair that was pulled back into a simple up-do.

"Young Daughter, you may reside in the Imperial Palace as my ward, until your problems are dealt with. This is the Palace Governess Lady HuiZhong. Allow her to escort you to your new chambers." Jia Lin curtsied and she left with the governess.

The woman was young, Jia Lin noted with a start, probably around her age. Jia Lin was sharp, and learned in the cultures of many nations - Lady HuiZhong was not of Chinese descent.

"Excuse me," she spoke up to diffuse the tense silence, "Were you a traveller beforehand?" The governess's mouth was drawn into a thin line at her inquiry and Jia Lin had the impression that the question was too personal.

"Learn to hold your tongue in the Imperial Palace, my lady, even walls have ears." They fell back into an awkward silence. Jia Lin took the opportunity to examine the decorations that adorned the palace. Gilded paintings of dragons were draped down the hallway next to embroideries of ancient Emperors. The grand architecture of the palace both amazed and overwhelmed her.

They arrived at an intricately-decorated door with cherry blossoms painted onto it. The eunuch standing outside inclined his head at the governess, announcing their presence. He was slim, but tall. His face was perfectly bare of all facial hair, indicating that perhaps, he was no ordinary man, but a eunuch. He lacked masculinity and seemed rather nervous in the presence of Governess HuiZhong. The door slid open to reveal a beautiful room filled with exquisite Japanese décor. Three beautiful women sat in the Centre of Tranquillity, their discussion appeared to have been disrupted.

The geisha Ichisumi kindly greeted them. "Lady HuiZhong, to what pleasure do we owe your presence?" To Jia Lin's surprise, the governess was smiling warmly at the trio - it was a complete transformation from her earlier expression.

"Ichisumi, Chef Xiulan," she greeted them fondly, inclining her head at the concubine, "Honourable one. The Empress has assigned a new ward of the Palace to me - Lee Jia Lin, the daughter of Scholar Lee." Ichisumi gasped in delight and gracefully leapt to her feet to greet Jia Lin.

"Please, rest your feet, little bird." Jia Lin felt warm inside; the geisha was amiable and knew how to make her feel welcome. "Allow me to introduce you to my beautiful companions: Chef Xiulan is the Palace's head chef - you will have no shortage of delicious dishes while under her care, and the Honourable Jia Xin. She is the Emperor's concubine. And I am the Palace Geisha, Ichisumi. Please make yourself at home in this Heavenly abode."

Jia Lin sat down beside the concubine, admiring her pale skin and delicate features. On the night of the banquet, Jia Lin did not have the chance to see this new concubine. So this was the famed favourite of the Emperor; descriptions did her no justice. Her silky ebony hair was decorated with jewels and floral ornaments. Her posture was refined and graceful, expected from the daughter of a nobleman. She looked as fragile as a piece of china and her sad brown eyes seemed to echo a broken spirit.

Sitting across from Jia Lin was a pretty young woman, the Palace Head Chef. She was a familiar face, but Jia Lin could not seem to recall where exactly she had seen her. Perhaps it was during the night of the banquet, or during the Crown Prince's birthday celebration. The Palace Head Chef, although not adorning in the same riches as the concubine and the geisha, was a beauty. Her hair cascaded down her back in waves and some of it was pulled back, held up in a simple jade dragonfly clip that decorated her head. As she moved, Jia Lin noticed that the small crystals that hung from the clip reflected off sparkles of light.

The women of the Emperor's household were truly of the finest pedigree.

Soon, the governess left the room under the pretence of lessons for the royal children. However, there was still residual discomfort from Jia Lin's encounter with the grumpy governess , and Ichisumi, sharp as a samurai blade noted this.

"Oh, do not worry about the governess. She may seem like a grouchy woman, but she will be stern and warm-hearted when she cares for you. Trust me." Jia Lin looked at the faces staring at her and smiled - she truly did feel like trusting them.

"Now do tell us, what brings you here?"

---

Scholar Lee's daughter was a thin young girl, refined in the world of academics and poetry, yet still a small swallow seeking nourishment from its mother. The ways of the wife were strange to her; she could not fathom how women her age were already with their third children, while she was still engrossed in books.

Her father always remarked that he had two sons, rather than a child of each gender. There were times when Jia Lin agreed - she was a far better fighter than her brother was, and picked up the art of kung fu much faster than he did. Fate was against her in that she was born a girl, and would not be able to reach her full potential. Jia Lin was a walking anachronism.

Nevertheless, her love for her foolish brother would always be irrevocably limitless, and she would do whatever it took to restore him and her family name to its former honour.

"I wish to help my brother, but require the refuge of the Imperial Palace as I do so."

Ichisumi shared a private smile with the Palace's head chef.

"We will help as promised, young swallow. But first, you must rest - there is a long, winding journey ahead of you."

---