Fated

"One must reach enlightenment before entering the world of honourable sword fighting."

The gentle touch sways
Morphing into deadly knives
That pierce through your skin

---

The Jade Twins drifted further apart with each passing day. Thai Goddess frowned at this knowledge. It was unnatural to see them apart, the consequences of such would be dire. She moved on to the next set of Heavenly Bodies: the Honourable Soldier was edging closer to the edge of the sky.

Thai goddess looked away from the sky, afraid to see more of Heaven's scriptures. None of the Bodies displayed profitable futures or honourable actions later on. She rested her head on a soft pillow and sighed. There would be more work this year.

A knock on the door startled Thai Goddess out of her thoughts.

"You may enter, Honourable Manh Kiem". A humble monk dressed in robes of orange and crimson stepped into the room. He was her priest, a loyal man, and her greatest friend.

"You have someone requesting your presence at the front gates, oh Heavenly One."

"Ah, I was expecting her. Escort her in, Manh Kiem." The tall man bowed respectfully and proceeded to the exit. He returned with a thin, young woman and her two servants. She bowed respectfully to the Thai Goddess as well.

"Oh, young one, I can see you are very troubled. Please, have a seat." Jia Lin was permitted to sit on a luxurious lounge chair. "Tea?" She accepted, not daring to defy a Goddess.

"Oh Divine One, my brother has deceived me and I fear he will deceive many more with his ways. Please help me, I beg of you." Jia Lin refused to let the tears escape. She was a brave, honourable woman, not a whimpering fool.

The Goddess smiled kindly, and gestured towards the stars, twinkling in the inky black horizon. "The Twins are further apart than they have ever been. I have consulted the Heavens, child, and the result is unkind. Do you wish for an answer?"

Jia Lin hesitated - was she willing to learn the truth about her and her dearest brother's fate, or would ignorance be kinder to her? Deciding against the latter, "Please tell me, oh Heavenly Mistress."

"Very well," the Thai Goddess harmoniously levitated to the serene district of the Heavenly Room and sat down. "Neither can live while the other survives. You must seek refuge in the seat of Heaven on Earth and bring honour to your ancestors." With a flourish of her hand, Jia Lin was sent away from the Heavenly Room, still mulling over the cryptic meaning of the Goddess's words.

---

"Her Honourable Concubine Jia Xin enters the domain of the Jade Emperor." Xiu Lan and Ichisumi rose from the chabudai and curtsied deeply as the Concubine Jia Xin entered Ichisumi's hospitable room.

Ichisumi politely welcomed her guests to sit at the chabudai, "Concubine Jia Xin, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. How generous of you to accept my invitation to my humble home." The Geisha's face was perfectly painted, similar to that of the night of their meeting, but there were a few changes. For one, she was not wearing the extravagant wig that she had worn on the first night of Jia Xin's arrival. Her kimono was not as formal, but was still the appropriate attire for receiving guests.

Jia Xin smiled, "The pleasure is all mine." Ichisumi really carried the aura of a delicate petal in the wind, and was definitely more marvellous when appreciated up close. "Thank you for having me. Your performance at the banquet was incredibly entrancing and so captivating! Even I as a woman, I felt seduced by your graceful movements." Jia Xin admitted.

The Geisha bowed her head and gently poured her guests cups of tea. It was entrancing just to watch her pour tea. "This is my dear friend, Xiu Lan. She is the head chef of the Imperial Palace."

Xiu Lan bowed her head politely, "It is really a blessing to be in your presence, Concubine Jia Xin."

Jia Xin smiled, "I must thank you for putting up such an extravagant feast during the welcoming banquet. The food was really just exquisite."

The Head Chef beamed, "Thank you, your grace. You overpraise me. Today, I've prepared some delicacies for us to dine on whilst we converse. I hope they are to your liking." As she spoke, a slim eunuch led in an entourage of kitchen maids, each carrying a silver platter. As they settled the food onto the chabudai, Jia Xin felt her excitement growing. She noticed a twinkle in the woman's eyes as she described every dish's intricate detailing. Xiu Lan was glowing; one could truly see the passion that illuminated her love for the culinary arts as she spoke.

"Shark fin soup with aromatic herbs imported from the mystic lands below...Oh, I hope these golden truffles are to your liking as well, Honourable ladies."

The Head Chef of the Palace was a skilled woman, and knew how to bless the tongues of every living soul who had had the pleasure of eating her delicacies. Jia Xin had also heard that despite her genteel appearance, she was a force to be reckoned with. Her power over the staff in the Forbidden City was immense, being one of the most influential workers in the palace.

Despite her goddess-like image, Jia Xin really did feel intimidated by the women before her. They were both talented, beautiful and formidable ladies of their own rank and from what rumours say, incredibly close and loyal to the Empress and the rest of the Royal Family. She was both curious and scared to know what they thought of her, a mere concubine.

"Something is troubling you." Jia Xin looked up, surprised to find the Geisha staring her, intently. It seemed as if she could read all her thoughts.

"What could be troubling the Emperor's favourite concubine?" Xiu Lan questioned.

Jia Xin scoffed bitterly. "What's more to being the Emperor's favourite concubine, than a name?" At that, Xiu Lan looked at her assistant eunuch who was still standing at the door awaiting orders after the other kitchen staff had left. The eunuch, Wenbao, bowed, understanding her silent command, and exited the room. He closed the doors behind him, allowing the women some privacy, and kept the guard at the door.

"Jewels, ornaments, silk dresses and robes... Maids and eunuchs to do my every bidding... The love and envy of everyone in every social standing... All the riches I could ask for in the world brought up to me on a gold platter even... Yet I cannot be more miserable. For the one thing I desire in this entire world, I cannot have."

"You have a lover." This was not a question, but a statement. Jia Xin was surprised she had been found out so easily, and stared wide-eyed, brimmed with tears, at Ichisumi. But this was the sharp-eyed geisha, skilled in socialising with people.

Ichisumi studied the broken girl in front of her. It was true the Concubine Jia Xin had the life that every girl in the country dreamed of, but Ichisumi did not envy her. For what was worse than being separated from a lover? Her eyes darted towards Xiu Lan, who was breathing deeply and staring at the concubine and she thought of the governess, HuiZhong. Ichisumi smiled bitterly, "So we are the honourable ladies who have what is to be desired, but not what we truly desire." She looked gently at the concubine, "Tell us about him. I may have forever lost the pleasure of love, but I cannot stand idly and watch others suffer under the same fate."

"We will help you." Xiu Lan promised.

---