Love Lost

"Love will only bind us closer together through the blessing of Heaven."

All love is unique

With its braveries and faults

No two is the same.

"My queen, it has come to my awareness that the Honourable Consort Jia Xin has been feeling depressed lately. Despite having lived in this palace for two months already, she does not appear to be at ease."

The Queen and the geisha were strolling through the Imperial Gardens, admiring amber autumn leaves as they drifted onto the green lawn. "Oh? Is that so?" The Queen leaned down, taking in the lavish scent of peonies. Despite the cooling weather, the Imperial Garden was still magnificent, with colours of all the rainbow blossoming throughout.

It was a truly picturesque scene; two young and beautiful women dressed in the finest of robes, gliding through the fruiting gardens. The auburn tinted willow trees swayed gently in the winds and creamy-pink plum blossoms gently fluttered from their branches into the crystal lake. The fragrance of nature danced through the air to the songs of the sweet singing swallows. The scene itself would inspire generations of poets and artists for years to come.

Ichisumi had to admit, the Imperial Garden in the Forbidden City was the most magnificent of all gardens she'd ever had the privilege to come across.

"Yes, my queen."

"Strange, I would think being so loved by the Emperor, she would be enjoying her lifelong stay here." There was no bitter resentment in the Empress's voice; she was not like that. Growing up in a fine noble family, the Empress Tian was a woman of perfect upbringing.

She ruled the Inner Court with utter grace and dignity, also taking charge of the country's ruling when the Emperor was occupied with his many affairs. Although it was considered completely out of line for a woman to rise herself above the seat of man, her efforts and clear thinking proved many government officials otherwise.

"Your highness, court life is not suited to everyone - I have not seen her truly smile once." Ichisumi was concerned for her friend, Jia Xin, who was completely miserable. Every night she would be called on by the Emperor and his mistress, the princess's lady in waiting, Ting Ting. How could one truly imagine the horrors she had to experience every night?

The life of a geisha was no stroll in the garden, but the life of a concubine whose heart was devoted to another was no easier. Although the duty of a geisha was to entertain, some were known to sleep with their patrons. Anything they did was by choice, most of the time. But as a concubine, Jia Xin had no choice whatsoever over who she slept with, for sleeping with the Emperor to bear him a son was her sole duty. This was it, for her.

"And what do you suggest I do?"

The geisha smiled and bowed her head, "I feel the Lady is more suited to an accommodation outside of the palace." It was a bold move, but Ichisumi was a bold woman who took many, many risks.

The queen was quiet, breathing heavily, "Outside the palace? You do realise that that is against Inner Court rules? You see me too highly; I cannot bend dynasty old rules for a mere concubine, be it the favourite of the emperor or not. The rules do not bend for anyone, not I, the Empress, not even the Emperor, himself."

"I understand that, my Queen. But Your Highness, forgive my words, for you must admit, that in the two months Lady Jia Xin has been here, His Royal Highness has been spending all his time with her. As the saying goes, 'A house cannot go a day without its head, as the country cannot go a day without its monarch.' Your Highness, I beg you to reconsider." The geisha was brave, but careful with her words. She was walking a very fine line. One slip of the tongue could lead to her execution.