Clandestine Events

"The young swallow awaits nourishment in its tiny nest upon eternal trees."

Tigers lie in wait,

Trapped in a cage of iron,

Awaiting justice.

---

"Gentle one, you must dine on more enriching dishes." Governess Huizhong noted the Imperial Princess's tiny waist. "Your body is thin and as fragile as a delicate petal - certainly not ideal for bearing sons."

She was sitting across from Princess Li Na, sipping on tea brewed from Green Leaves of the Sacred Mountaintop. They were both in the Princess's lounge room for her lessons for the ground was too cold and frigid for a walking lesson outside.

"Lady Huizhong, my efforts have been fruitless. I have eaten richer foods every day for two moons now, and yet my body seems to stay in the same thin shape. I fear that I will not be able to bear healthy sons for my future husband." The governess set her tea cup down, shaking her head.

"Nonsense, kind princess. You will give rise to many dutiful sons and pale daughters - it is written in the Heavens for you. Now, recite to me the Final Admonition."

The Princess inclined her head elegantly, making the jade flowers in her hair glimmer in the filtering sunlight. "Fulfil your duties calmly and respectfully. Reflect before you act. This shall bring you honour and glory." She recited this without hesitating, a vast improvement from her initial performances.

Huizhong smiled in approval - the princess had worked hard to morph from a rebellious young girl (and the cause of the Royal family's woes) to an honourable princess with Confucian family values. She would make a fine wife and queen in the future.

"Remember, Princess, you must conduct yourself with the utmost grace and respect, every lady in the palace will be watching your behaviour more closely from this night onwards. The Ruler of the Mongol lands will be attending tonight; this banquet is crucial for your validity as an honourable wife."

The princess sighed. "What honour is there in living a life that is not my own?" Huizhong gave the Princess a stern look - if that was said in a different context, Li Na would have been severely punished.

"My Princess, you live in the finest luxuries and dine among the elite - something many people are not privileged to. You would do well to remember that."

---

Mongols from the Northern Lands filtered through grand, golden doorways with magnificent dragons engraved into it. The King headed the troop, head held high as he strode down the banquet hall to the Jade Emperor's table in order to give his greetings.

The hall itself was enormous - the width of five of the strongest elephants and as high as the Heavens. Its walls were decorated with splendid depictions of goddesses and fairies in between tall golden columns. On the ground were the feasting tables, where the Imperial family and the Honourable Consort sat on the highest platforms. Tables for the Mongol guests were placed a step down from the Royal tables, and tables for lesser nobility sat closer to the doorway.

Lady Huizhong stood beside the Princess at the doorway, assessing the hall's activity. Only the Emperor and Empress were sitting at the Royal Tables thus far, as the children were set to arrive later. She noticed that lowly geisha - those whom Ichisumi watched over - were flitting about the seating areas and attending to boisterous male guests. Ichisumi would make an appearance later for her performance before specifically entertaining the Royal Family.

Eunuch Wu announced arrival of the Honourable Princess Li Na before she gracefully strode into the room with HuiZhong by her side. Li Na immediately captured the attention of the majority of men in the room due to her refined elegance and exquisite gowns. The princess sat beside her brothers' seats, and the governess bowed deeply to the Emperor and Empress before vacating herself from the banquet area.