Strengthened Spirits

"Blood runs through one's veins like a river coursing down a cavernous ridge, but some ridges will break down and form bonds thicker, much stronger than blood."

Some bonds are of blood,

But some run thickest with love

And where there is trust.

One moon had already passed since the departure of the Honourable Concubine Jia Xin, and yet time could not have passed more slowly for the scholarly ward. Having been given a man's education by her late father, she considered the palatial lessons for girls - provided by the Governess HuiZhong - to be extremely lacking in many ways.

The stern woman had scoffed indignantly when she naïvely asked if they would be learning about war tactics, or discussing the Imperial sagas. Instead, the most challenging assessment given was the quality of her embroidery, or the fluidity with which she recited her Womanly Vows. It took many days for Jia Lin to stop gritting her teeth at every condescending word thrown towards her.

"Your hands are weathered and lack the delicacy of an honourable woman."

"Your skin is too tanned, Small One. Clearly, you were not born into a noble bloodline."

The Governess drove her mad, especially with her intolerable and stubborn attitude in regards to change. She seemed to despise Jia Lin's free spirited approach to life and unconventional learning methods.

"Young Ward, the First Admonition is not one to be taken lightly. Please refrain from writing it down on your wrist and memorise it properly!" HuiZhong scowled, her lips thinning into a line. Jia Lin glowered in return.

"Governess, the caterpillar must take small bites out of a small leaf before it is ready to bloom into a magnificent butterfly. Like the tiny creature, I am merely taking tiny bites." She smirked at the woman's reddening face - a sign that she was angry.

"You have a disgraceful determination to disobey my instructions, Jia Lin. This is your last warning before you will be promptly removed."

Her temper began to rise, quickly and scathingly, like the water in the hazardous cooking pot. Jia Lin had had enough! "The Empress granted me protection and a proper education in the Imperial Palace, NOT a ridiculous course on the daily lives of dainty wives! Your lessons are USELESS!"

The governess inhaled deeply, nostrils flaring. "How dishonourable! You-you vagabond! This education is one that few are ever granted! If you wish to fight like a man, and to never be wed honourably, then you WILL leave and find someone willing to teach you how to be a woman!"

Jia Lin leapt up from the ground and screamed in unhinged frustration. She stormed out of the room, taking her father's sword with her. "FINE!"

---

Jia Lin immediately summoned Shivek and Vivek - two old friends, and acting servants - and told them to cover up her disappearance while she went out to alleviate her anger in the village. They agreed, and stood outside her chambers under the guise of protecting her as she slept.

She opted out of leaving through the main entryway; a single woman leaving without human embellishments would draw too much attention. The Head Chef led her through a secret tunnel, hidden inconspicuously inside the storage room, making her vow to return before dinner time lest her lack of presence cause an uproar. With a smile and many words of thanks, the scholar's daughter escaped into the sunlight.

She obediently took a left turn at the crossroads, Xiulan having told her that the right turn was strictly off limits. Curiosity squashed down, she emerged at the back room of an apothecary. It was small and cramped, only having enough room for shelves of medicinal herbs and jars of strange substances, and the trapdoor she had crawled out of. A heavy wooden door seemed to be the only way in or out, so she gave it a hesitant push.