Chapter 3

*****Dan's POV*****

During lunch Wayne sits with us. Ben and Platz introduce themselves and it seems that all 3 are now discussing music. Apparently Wayne plays guitar.

I really am only paying half attention, I just can't focus. I can't help thinking about the second scream. There is another body. I'm scared that I'll think I'm going to the shops and end up on a crime scene.

Again.

Being a banshee is fun. Note the sarcasm.

My eyes wander around the cafeteria and I fight the urge to scream. Not a banshee scream, just a scream about how everyone is acting so normal when a body was just found.

Or maybe it is a banshee scream, I've been having difficulty recognising if it is or not nowadays.

I start to feel sick so I push my lunch away slightly.

"Are you okay, buddy?" Ben asks noticing my reluctance to eat.

"I'm fine just feeling a little ill." I smile half-heartedly. I can tell Ben doesn't believe me but I ignore him and go back to my thoughts.

I start to hear a light tapping sound. I look around trying to find the source. My stomach begins to do flips as I notice with growing dread the fact no one is tapping.

Shit.

*****Ben's POV*****

I'm a bit worried about Dan. After he stopped eating I began to keep an eye on him. He looks like he's turning pale. I see his eyes flit furiously around the cafeteria and I know what's happening. I can tell Platz has noticed too, and due to our sudden worry Wayne has also noticed.

Great, freaking fantastic. This is exactly what we need; a curious new guy, Dan having a banshee attack as I call them and a dead body.

Dan gets these sometimes. His banshee senses start to go crazy, usually due to someone about to die, and everything hits him like a freight train. It's like a panic attack except there is no way of getting him out of these.

I place a hand on Dan's arm and nearly curse out loud at how hard he is shaking. This is bad, really bad.

I heave Dan to his feet and allow him to lean on me, he actually towers over me in height yet during the banshee attacks he seems to almost shrink in size. I think it's him trying to curl up that makes him so hunched over during these.

I can tell that Platz wants to help but is trying to keep Wayne from finding out. I give him a look that says 'just bring him' and carry on with the task of getting Dan out of the cafeteria.

I lean Dan against a wall and watch as he slides down. I've never been good at this but I try and work him out of it, I know there is no point however.

He looks into my eyes and can tell he's trying to calm down. I can hear his heart racing and his breathing getting shallower.

"Dan, what do you need?" I know there has to be a way to stop this. Sometimes getting the banshee message out helps.

He moves his hands frantically in what I think is meant to symbolise writing so I grab a pen and book.

He latches onto the pen and begins writing furiously. Quicker than humanly possible I think.

Platz and Wayne have arrived at this point, Platz looking worried and Wayne looking confused.

Suddenly Dan launches the pen and book across the floor and pushes against the wall, as though he is trying to get as far away as possible.

His breathing is beginning to return to normal, thank god, although his heartbeat is still panicky.

Suddenly his breathing gets shallower than it ever has and his heart nearly stops. Then, as if everything exploded, he lets out a bloodcurdling scream. It makes my hair stand on end and Wayne looks like he is in serious pain.

Dan's breathing and pulse have completely evened out and he passes out.