09. Hurt

Chocolate Hearts
Chapter Nine
Hurt

Kai lay back on his bed, resting one forearm across his forehead and staring resolutely at the ceiling. His body was sprawling across the bed, since he'd promptly collapsed upon it upon entering the room.

He hadn't collapsed because he was tired. No, rather, his mind was preoccupied with a certain something, no, someone, ever since she had left with a smile and cheery wave, with a call that she'd hope to see them all again soon.

Nari.

He'd only just met her, but already he could see why she and Jongdae were close friends. There was nothing not to like about her. Kai smiled, recalling how they'd whispered throughout the movie, making little comments about characters and scenes. She laughed often at the witty comments throughout the movie; Kai had noticed that when she laughed, Nari had a habit of tilting her head back ever so slightly and covering her mouth with her hand. Maybe she'd done that to try and remain quiet during the movie, but he still couldn't help but think, that had been cute.

It had only felt natural to help Chen with the cupcakes, though when the movie had finished, he'd been too eager to show her what they'd done to wait for his friend. Nari's laugh and delighted smile had been worth it. It struck him that he'd barely seen her smile since they met. It was a nice change.

It had struck him then that he barely knew her. She looked relaxed around them all, but Kai had realised, she was still holding things back. They had barely scratched the surface on Yong Nari; they knew so little about her, they might as well not know her at all.

"Hey, Kai."

Kai turned his head to the side and managed a smile, calling back at greeting to Kyungsoo as he entered the room.

Kyungsoo sat opposite Kai, and looked at the younger male with a small frown. "You looked distant. Is anything troubling you?"

"Nothing," Kai declined instantly. He let out a heavy sigh. "Everything's fine."

"Then I don't - oh." Kyungsoo smiled knowingly. "I believe I have an idea. It's Nari, isn't it?"

"No," Kai responded, perhaps a little bit too quickly. From the way Kyungsoo's eyebrows raised ever so slightly, Kai knew that he hadn't been convincing. The younger male sighed and closed his eyes. "Really, it isn't Nari."

Kyungsoo sighed heavily. Kai could picture the exasperated look on his roommate's face. "Kai, I was sitting next to you two. You were constantly whispering throughout the movie."

Friends often do that, Kai wanted to retort, but kept his mouth shut.

Do you like her?"

Kai shot up into a sitting position with a strangled cry of, "No!" He groaned and closed his eyes, cursing his stupid, hurried reaction. "Well, I do. We're just friends. Nothing more."

It looked like Kyungsoo was trying to suppress a smirk. "I see."

Kai rolled his eyes. "Have you seen Chen?"

"He was in the kitchen, with Chanyeol and Baekhyun."

Eager to leave the small interrogation, Kai leapt to his feet and briskly strode out from the room.

Chen had left the kitchen since Kyungsoo last saw him; he was currently sitting on a chair in front of the television, sipping at a glass of water. Kai took a seat beside him. "Hey, Chen. Where is everyone?" Everyone meaning Chanyeol and Baekhyun.