24. Changed

Chocolate Hearts
Chapter Twenty-Four
Changed

When Nari woke up the next morning, Jongin wasn't there.

She tried not to feel too disappointed, knowing that he probably had to leave early to get to practice, but a part of her still wished that he was near. 

Nari rolled on to her side, and the first thing she noticed was her phone resting on her bedside table. Her stomach twisted in knots, thinking about what rumours might have sprouted since she checked it last. Her hand shaking slightly, he reached out to grab her phone.

As she did, her fingers brushed across the smooth surface of paper.

Nari's eyebrows furrowed as she grabbed the paper and switched on the light, since the morning light was still did. A small smile crossed her lips as she read the words in Jongin's familiar handwriting.

Don't look at your phone! I know the temptation is great, but it won't do you any good. You're better than the rumours, Nari, always.

Nari chuckled weakly. He knows me well.

The terrible desire to reach out and just look and know just what was being said about her today consumed Nari, but she took in a deep breath and stood up, pushing her phone away from her as she plodded to the kitchen.

Not knowing what was being said about her that day was almost as horrible as scrolling through all the spiteful, jealous comments. At least then Nari knew what was being said about her. For all she knew she could be receiving threats and she'd never know about it.

Technology is scary, she thought with a shiver, and wrapped her arms tightly around her body as though that might protect her.

Nari walked slowly to the kitchen, her eyes at once picking up the paper on her bench that stood out against the dark bench top. After rubbing her eyes free of sleep Nari ambled over and picked the letter up, blinking away tiredness to clearly make out and understand the words.

Nari,
I'm sorry I have to leave without being able to say goodbye, but my schedule calls and I didn't want to wake you. I cooked breakfast, it's in the oven, hopefully it tastes okay!
Don't forget to look after yourself today, that's your main priority.
Love always,
Jongin.

Warmth flooded Nari's body, making heat rise to her cheeks. Oh, Jongin. She smiled slightly and opened the oven to see what he'd left for her.

Breakfast turned out to be pancakes - they were a little overdone, but Nari thought they were delicious, especially accompanied with maple syrup. She grinned when she finished, and reminded herself to mention to Jongin how nice they were later.

As she was eating she heard her phone buzz from her room. For a moment she froze, panicked, thinking that someone might be contacting her with more spiteful comments. But after she put the plates away and went to check, she was relieved to find it was Jongdae.

How are you? I'm sorry I didn't come over yesterday, but Jongin really wanted to see you. I hope you're okay. Remember I'm always here if you need me! I'll come to check up on you soon.

Again Nari smiled. Jongdae, there for her like always.

Looking back on their relationship today, Nari wondered what might have happened if she hadn't been as closed off and reserved when she was younger. Might she still be open to love? Could her youthful heart fluttered with hope as her friendship grew stronger with Jongdae? Could she have possibly fallen for him? If she'd been more carefree and fun, might Jongdae have fallen for her instead of seeing her as a younger sister to look out for and take care of?