19. Decision

Chocolate Hearts
Chapter Nineteen
Decision

Nari hadn't been expecting any late night calls, especially from Hyeon.

Days after her talk with Suho, Hyeon phoned late at night. Apparently he'd just come back from a late night at work and needed a coffee - he'd asked if her patisserie was still open and when she told him it wasn't, he asked if they'd like to grab something together. Nari agreed, and that was how she found herself sitting opposite her brother at a coffee shop late in the day.

Conversation between them so far had been little - Hyeon was obviously exhausted, his eyes drooping and he yawned often. Nari took small sips of her coffee and watched him closely, ready to shake him awake should he fall asleep at the table.

Nari stirred her coffee thoughtfully. "Hyeon?" she asked presently, breaking their silence.

Her brother blinked and looked up. "What is it?"

"Have you ever fallen in love? In true love?"

She wasn't sure why she'd asked, nor what sort of answer she was expecting from him. A shrug, a mutter that declined the fact. With his past lifestyle, Nari wouldn't have been surprised if he'd never been in a serious relationship.

But he was nodding, which left her momentarily frozen.

"I have," he said quietly. "Before I let everything in my life fall to shambles, there was this one girl I really liked." A smile, softer than Nari thought possible of Hyeon, spread across his lips. "She liked me back. We only went out a few times before I let my life fall apart, but every moment I had with her... I still treasure it today."

He had never spoken so fondly, so wistfully, and his eyes were glazed like he was reliving one of those treasured memories then. Nari might have stared in awe at her brother and marvel at his change, but she still needed something answered.

Nari cleared her throat, and Hyeon's head snapped up.

"What's it like? Falling in love?" Nari asked. Her hands twisted beneath the table. Truthfully, she was almost scared to hear the answer.

Hyeon didn't answer for a moment. His face scrunched up as though trying really hard to focus on or recall something.

"Exhilarating," he finally said, in a low voice. He shook his head. "There's no words to describe it, really. Every day you step into the unknown, but all you know is that your partner will have your back."

Nari licked her lips. "Is it scary?"

"It can be. But only if you let yourself be consumed in that fear." Hyeon paused, and then his lips twisted up into a teasing smirk, his tiredness temporarily fading away. "Why'd you ask? Is there someone you like? Do I need to threaten someone?"

Nari laughed. "You're going to protect me?"

It was the wrong choice of words. Hyeon stiffened as though stung, a haunted expression crossing his face. He lowered his eyes.

"I probably don't have the right to protect you, after I hurt you..." he mumbled.

"Hyeon," Nari reprimanded sharply. "Moving on, remember?"

Hyeon frowned, squirming uncomfortably in his seat, but still nodded.

"Yes," he agreed hastily, and cleared his throat. "But Nari..." His voice turned sifter, and he looked at her with serious eyes. "Falling in love can be scary, but once you've found someone who'll support you through it, it becomes so much easier."