25. Plans

Chocolate Hearts
Chapter Twenty-Five
Plans

Weeks passed, and with each passing day Nari found the situation more and more bearable.

As soon as SM gave their explanation to Nari's presence with the group and declined her relationship with Jongin, there had been a new flare of hate. Some remained skeptical. Others were furious that she was allowed to spend so much time with Exo. Others were minding their own business, though they formed the minority.

Nari trained herself to stay away from her phone. The temptation to scroll through the news was strong, but she knew that she'd only feel worse reading the comments. She was learning that blocking the words out and not paying any attention to them was the best way to cope.

And of course, she had Jongin to help her.

He was her tower of strength throughout the ordeal, always making sure that she was okay and making sure to visit after practice. Jongdae was treasured support too, sending her texts throughout the day, and sometimes joining Jongin to visit though this was not often; he knew that the two wanted time alone together every once and a while, and that couldn't happen if he was there keeping a watchful eye on them.

Jongin and Jongdae weren't the only ones, either; everyone in Exo was supporting and looking out for her. It made Nari smile each day to receive random texts and phone calls from the other members, just to check up on her. Hyeon was also irreplaceable, dropping by on his way home from work on most days when he wasn't too tired.

When Nari returned to work, Yuri and Hye-Ja greeted her with warm hugs, bright smiles, and encouraging words. Nari stuck to the back for the first week, just baking, and waiting for the world to calm down. When it did, she returned to the front desk, though avoiding eye contact with any girl who walked in the store in case they recognised her. Nari was just thankful that none of the photos posted online showed her face well. They were either too far away to make out her face clearly or her head was turned. 

The restrictions on her now wasn't going to stop Nari from enjoying the things she loved. She still had baking sessions with Jongin, and had her dance lessons continued as per normal. The only difference was that nowadays, she'd be walked in by a different member.

Dancing was becoming more and more enjoyable for Nari the more she practiced. It was a slow process, but she was getting better. Of course, it helped that Jongin was her teacher, she reflected with a smile as she glanced over at her boyfriend.

The two of them lay on the ground, so close the slightest shift cause their bodies to brush against each other. Their hands rested on top of one another's as they breathed deeply, recovering from the long session.

"Your dancing really is coming along well, Nari," Jongin complimented, squeezing her hand.

She chuckled. "Only because we've been working on it for months now."

Months

Jongin breathed the word. His head tilted back, and Nari could just make out the glazed look to his eyes, as though he was lost in thought.

"It be three months since you started dancing," he concluded, coming out of his reverie.

Nari pursed her lips. She strained her mind back, calculations flying through her head.

"It's late July now," she hummed, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "It might even be four. I'm not sure." Her voice softened, and she turned her head to the side. Jongin must have spotted the movement out of the corner of his eye for he shifted his head too, so they eyes met.