"Silent Night"

"Mommy, when I grow up I want to be just like you."

Just like me. What a thought. She'll feel differently one day. I should have been smarter. I shouldn't have been so irresponsible. I should have gone to college. I shouldn't have wasted so much time getting wasted, then maybe I'd be better prepared for all of this. At least she's young. Maybe she'll only remember the hard work I'll do from now on. I'll be better. I'll be better for her so she can be proud of me.

***

"How long are you staying here?" Penny asked.
"Until I have to go back to work. Or until your mom tells me to leave...Here, hand me that."
Penny tossed him a flat sheet out of the laundry basket that Vanessa had plopped down for her daughter to fold before promptly leaving to make her rounds.
"She won't do that."
"No?"
"No. She's your girlfriend isn't she?" she eyed him as he thought carefully about his response, snapping the sheet flat and folding it into a neat rectangle.
"I guess I never actually asked her that. Do you think I should?" he didn't know if that was customary anymore. He hadn't realized how far out of the "game" he'd been.

"Well, yeah. You have to ask her," she responded and rolled her eyes as she tossed him another sheet.
"How?" he'd lowered his voice and it drew Penny closer, as if they'd become co-conspirators in a grand scheme.
"You know 'Love Actually'? It's her favorite movie. She watches it all year. There's that scene..."

***

"Mom, I think I want pizza for my birthday party."
"Pizza? That's it?" Vanessa responded. She and her daughter were having dinner together, basking in the cool comfort of the Big Cabin.
"Well, pizza and cake. Can it be ice cream cake?"
"Oh man, I don't know if an ice cream cake will make the drive from town. It might melt."
"We have a cooler. It'll be fine," Penny said confidently to which Vanessa laughed. Her daughter had it all figured out.
"I'm sure whatever we do, it--"

Knock Knock Knock

"I'll get it," Vanessa said as she stood up from the table. She went to the front door and opened it to find Robert standing on her front porch.
"Robert, I thought--"
He held up a finger, making no noise but telling her to 'shoosh'.

"Who is it?" Penny called out from the kitchen.
Robert held up a card that read:

'Say it's carol singers'

and then produced a travel radio that he used to play  "Silent Night". The irony of a Christmas carol echoing through the house during the hottest week in July was not lost on her and her heart squeezed because she knew where he was heading. He continued with the cue cards...

With any luck, by next year I'll be spending lots of time with these girls.

Next was a picture of herself, Penny and Daisy and he had it taped onto the cue card. He continued on, flipping through the cards as the Christmas music played on.

So for now, let me say

Without hope or agenda

Just because it's Christmas

(And at Christmas you tell the truth)

To me, you are perfect

And my wasted heart will love you

If you say you'll be my girlfriend

Merry Christmas

Vanessa's eyes welled up and she spun around to find her daughter lurking just behind the front desk,  grinning from ear to ear. She turned back to Robert and caught him shooting a wink at Penny and she realized they'd planned this together.