Chapter 13

Democratic Convention, Atlantic City,
August, 1964

Nine long months had passed since Uncle Jack passed away. Daddy was getting better, Aunt Jackie was healing slowly but surely, and Caroline was smiling again. Aunt Jackie had been right. It was quite clear that Daddy felt the pressure of the legacy. I thought he was doing excellent.

Things were slowly starting to turn to a new normal. Aunt Jackie, Caroline and John had moved to a new house in Georgetown, where we were frequent visitors. Daddy spent more time at home and the older kids went back to school. This time, I got to join them. School was a lot of fun for me, but I'm always excited to get back home to see Momma and Daddy. Especially after Uncle Jack. It was nice to know that they were all doing well and have everybody back under one roof.

Not long after school had started, just as I was getting into the new routine, Daddy threw me a curveball. He told us we would be missing school the next two days to make a trip to the Democratic Convention in Atlantic City. Daddy was asked to speak and we would all make the trip. I was very excited to go hear Daddy talk, and miss several days of school, but I didn't want another new normal. Not to mention, a lot of people were going to be there and I knew that. What if somebody was out to hurt Daddy too?

I didn't sleep the night before we left out of fear for Daddy. By midnight, I was curled up on Daddy's chest where I spent the rest of the night. The next morning was full of hustle and bustle as Momma struggled to get all eight of us on the plane. Of course, Kathleen, Joe and Bobby helped, but Michael's strong head set some minor setbacks for us. Somehow, we managed to make it on the plane just in time.

We landed in Atlantic City at four o' clock that evening, giving us a little bit of time to settle into the hotel and make it back for the convention. I stay close to Daddy's side as we get off of the plane. Immediately, camera's began snapping and people began talking. "Senator Kennedy! Over here!" "Kennedys, look this way!" "Mrs. Kennedy, introduce us to your brood!" I look back to Momma as I step off of the ladder with Daddy, holding his hand tightly. Momma slowly walks down the steps with Chris on her hip and a slight smile on her face. She never said a word to any of them, which I found amazing.

Not much happened after we got to our hotel room. We all got ready, again the older ones helping out until everyone was dressed in their best clothes. We then passed the rest of the time by with television and soon enough, it was time to go. We were able to all ride in peace to the convention, but as soon as Daddy's feet hit the ground, we were swarmed. I put myself between Daddy and Kathleen, feeling mostly protected, but still fearing for Daddy. Things can change in an instant, turn on a dime. If I had learned anything in the past nine months, that was it. And we learned it the hard way.

The people follow Daddy closely as I stay close on his heels, holding the back of his suit jacket tightly so I don't lose him. The reporters throw questions at him that I can't hear over the screaming from fans. Daddy answers a few of their questions in short words, then leads us into the building where the doors are closed behind Momma and silence falls over us. Daddy fixes the stray lock of his hair by combing it with his fingers over to the side as he sighs. "At least that's over." He says with a soft smile.

It wasn't hard to tell that the thought of Uncle Jack was still in his mind. And under the constant watch of the public, just when he would start doing good again, a reporter would ask about Jackie or how he feels about the 'legend' now and he would sink back to square one. It was the first time that Uncle Jack wouldn't be at the convention. And Daddy was speaking. Butterflies fill my stomach as I wrap my arms around him, holding on to him. Suddenly, I was very nervous for him.

Momma sighs as Daddy gently pats my back. "Well, come along children. Let's go find our seats and leave your father a moment to prepare before he goes onstage." I look up to him to find his bright blue eyes looking back at me. "Don't worry, Daddy," I say as positively as I can. "You're gonna do great!" Daddy smiles softly to me as Michael nods. "Yeah Dad, you've got this!" Daddy smiles very weakly. "Thank you, kids. My only desire tonight is to make your Uncle Jack proud." Kathleen nods very softly as she looks down and Momma smiles brightly to him. "I'm sure you will, Bob. Good luck." Momma starts to leave the room as we all follow her, Courtney stopping midway and waving. "Good luck, Daddy!"

Momma leads us out to the large auditorium, Kathleen and Joe in the back to make sure none of us got lost in the large crowd; Joe carrying Chris on his hip for extra reassurance. Momma turns and leads us to a row on the second floor on the very front, a little wall across the edge for safety with a very good view of the stage. Momma sat at the end as David, Michael and Courtney followed. I squeezed in between Courtney and Kathleen, leaving Joe and Bobby at the end to watch Chris.

Chris sat in Joe's lap, his little hands on the edge of the balcony, his eyes glued to the stage as a man tests the microphone. "What's man doing?" He asks loudly as he turns to look to Joe. Joe smiles a little as the crowd keeps talking, creating a dull roar throughout the room. "He's getting ready for Daddy's speech." Joe explains.

I look down to my pink dress and smooth it out over my legs, looking to Courtney, her dress identical to mine, as always. I then look to Kathleen's, her shade of pink just a little bit darker. On some occasions she matched us, but other times, she stood out, being the oldest and the oldest girl. Kathleen notices me looking and smiles softly. "Are you ready for the speech?" She asks. I shrug. "Um, a little a guess. I'd rather take Daddy home though so that I know we're all safe." Kathleen nods as the room falls quiet and a man steps up to the microphone. "Me too," she says as she changes her voice to a whisper. "But don't worry, we're all okay and we'll be on our way soon."

I nod and turn my attention to the gray haired man on the stage. He gives a short introduction about the current events in the democratic parties and briefly mentions our recently fallen leader, Uncle Jack. I look down with my bottom lip bites as Kathleen takes my hand and holds it tightly. I then look back up as the man continues. "And now, without further delay, here is our very first speaker, Senator Robert Francis Kennedy!"

The man steps back as the crowd erupts in cheers and Daddy starts to walk on the stage, a fake smile plastered on his face. The man had mentioned Uncle Jack and Daddy was sad all over again; I could tell. Part of me was really mad at the man, but it wasn't his fault. What he said was true, and nobody could avoid it. Kathleen lets go of my hand and starts clapping as I start to join in with the rest of my siblings. I then stop clapping along with my siblings as Daddy steps up to the microphone.

I see his lips move and hear his voice, but I can't hear what he says. The crowd is still clapping and cheering. I turn to look behind me, then down to the first floor. Everyone is still clapping. Daddy talks again, but I don't understand anything he says again. Suddenly, people start standing up, cheering and clapping even louder than before.

I look to Kathleen as Joe stands up with Chris in front of him as Bobby joins him beside him. Chris claps his hands loudly. "Yay Daddy!" He yells. I at Kathleen as Courtney leans over with me. "Kath," I ask. "Why are they clapping?" Courtney grins as she stands up. "It's because of Uncle Jack." Kathleen nods as she stands up and I stand with her. "They're respecting Daddy. He resembles what the country has lost. They're proud of him." I nod and join in clapping loudly, looking down to Momma. She looks around the room and then back to Daddy, cheering with a wide beaming smile.

Tears fill Daddy's eyes and he nods with a respectful smile. All of these people loved him, they respected him. Kathleen was right; he was the face of what the country had lost. All eyes were on him now. They were waiting to see what he would do now. I grin brightly as I watch my Daddy proudly. Aunt Jackie had been right too. Daddy has no choice but to run for President now.

Oh my gosh, guys! I'm so sorry that it's been so long! I've been super busy! I hope you haven't given up on me! The story is almost done! Thanks for following me this far!