Chapter 1: The ABC'S of Psychology...Serene Quinones

Affect (feelings)Behavior (interactions)Cognition (thought)

These are the three components of Psychology. In order to effectively maintain and enhance our own lives through successful interaction with others, we rely on these three basic and interrelated human capacities. In other words this is how we all function as humans in Society... at least most of us.

My name is Serene Quinones and I'm starting my Freshman year at the University of Nevada here in Reno. I'm originally from Massachusetts so I'm a long way from home. I got accepted here with a Scholarship that pays for my Tuition for the next four years if I keep my grades to 85% and above which I'm praying for.  I know it won't be easy since I will have to do the assignments, study and work a Part time job to keep up paying for my necessities.

I had decided to move here two months in advance with my cousin Veronica. She's 25 years old while I'm 18. I know she is older but she's cool. She's more of an older sister to me and promised my parents that she would watch over me. I'm so glad she's here since she showed me around the city and I won't feel too home sick.

I have found a job at the local Cafe which is nearby the University which from what I understand a lot of the college students hang out there. It's my first day there so I was getting ready... I don't have a car yet so Veronica was nice enough to take me and will pick me up later.

"Serene, right?" a tall brown haired guy asked as I approached the counter.

"Yes, I'm Serene." I responded.

"I knew it was you. My name is Julian, I was asked by Dalia to train you." he said smiling and sticking his hand out to shake mine.

"Hi Julian, nice to meet you." I responded by shaking his hand and smiling back. I was nervous and I think he noticed.

"You seem a bit nervous. Don't be, we are all like family here." he gave me a reassuring smile and I returned.

"Okay."

"So let's go to the back, I will show you your locker and how to clock in then I will show you your duties." he says as he ushered me to the back.

After putting my things in the locker and clocking in Julian handed me an apron and started showing me my duties. I was going to start by getting the food items to the customers and then once I get comfortable I will be at the register. I've worked at a retail store when I lived in MA so I'm not a stranger to the register. 

It has been two hours since I started and things had slowed down at the Cafe.

"So Serene, will you be attending UNR?" Julian asked while I was cleaning the top of the counter.

"Yes I am. I start this Fall. I just moved here a week ago." I tell him.

"Why so soon?" he asked.

"Why I moved here early?" I asked wanting to make sure I understood his question which he nodded yes to.

"Well, I moved in with my cousin whose seven years older than me so I could familiarize myself here. Plus, I wanted to work as much as I could so I could save money for my necessities. I know once classes start I will have to cut down on hours so I want to take advantage of it now." I tell him

"Good plan... so, what are you majoring in?"

"Um, Psychology. I eventually want to get my PhD."

"Wow, not only are you beautiful, but you have goals too. Impressive." he says while chuckling and making me blush. I wasn't expecting a compliment.

I don't find myself to be beautiful. I guess I'm alright. I had a boyfriend back home and ended things once I graduated High School. He wasn't going in the right path and wanted to follow his "Family Business" as he called it. He expected me to turn down my Scholarship and eventually be his wife being barefoot and pregnant. I wasn't going to be that way. Education was always important to me and I wanted to become someone who would help people.