Trying

"Where the hell have you been?" I ask rather calmly.

"Sorry Dad, just lost track of time is all," Anna rolls her eyes playfully as Dawn smirks.

"You think this is funny?" I ask completely calm. "You," I turn to Dawn. "You're the one who set the damn curfew."

"Stand down soldier," Dawn replies casually.

"Stop yelling, we're fine, look I'm in one piece," Anna places her hands on the sides of my face.

"I'm not yelling!" I shout and she flinches. I sigh, "I'm sorry. But how am I supposed to keep my promise to you if you're out cruising around after curfew?" I'm really not yelling now.

Her thumb brushes over my jaw. "I'm fine." My eyes flutter close at her touch as my racing heart calms.

"We made dinner," I hum. Before I know it her touch is withdrawn and she'd heading happily over to the dinner table.

"Mmm, looks good!" She smiles, taking a seat. I go to take a seat next to her but Dawn snatches it up and begins piling mashed potatoes onto her plate.

"I still think we should have made a bigger dinner," Peter pouts at the potatoes and rolls on his plate.

"We need to ration the food," Drako speaks up sitting across from my Anna. I mean Anna. I trudge over to the seat on the other side of Anna and take a seat.

"Stop pouting, it's not a good look on you," Peter laughs.

I roll my eyes and begin filling my plate. Throughout dinner I can't help but notice Drako blatantly staring at my Anna. I mean Anna, who glances at him every so often.

"I think we should relax after dinner," Dawn finally breaks the silence. We all nod in agreement. Dawn starts clearing the table and whispers something to Drako. I watch him as he stands up and goes back to his desk to keep watch.

Peter has made himself comfortable on his makeshift bed, reading a comic I'd salvaged from his locker. I decide to spend some time with Anna.

"Hey, Anna. What do you say we go back to our space?" I ask. Her face drops and she stutters.

"I- we- I don't- I don't think- " Sudden horror settles inside me as I realize how that must have sounded.

"I didn't mean it like that, I thought we could talk or something," I correct. Relief washes over her features.

"Anna, whenever you're ready, I'll show you how to reload," Drako's deep voice interrupts.

"I have to-" she cuts off at a loss for words and quickly gets up, going to Drako.

I really don't like him.

Glaring, I remove myself to help Dawn with the dishes.

"What are you doing?" Dawn commands.

"Helping. I've got nothing better to do," I shrug and put a plate in the sink. I begin scrubbing at the plate vigorously before handing it to Dawn and doing the same with the next.

"So what's the story with you and Drako?" I finally ask as I watch Drako silently teaching Anna the mechanics of her firearm. "Are you two together or something?"

Dawn scoffs, "he's my twin. So no."

"Does he have a girlfriend?" I press. She stops and turns to me, hand on hip.

"Look if you're interested, stop. My brother doesn't swing your way," she raises a brow waiting for my response.

"I wasn't asking because I'm interested in him," I finally grumble, "just forget about it." I glance at the pair to see they're now in conversation. Drako looks humorously at Anna who is full on laughing. I roughly hand Dawn the last plate before storming into the other room with the rest of the bunch.