On the Line

"Let's go out, we need more ammo," Dawn breaks the silence in the office. Peter looks up from his comic and Anna and I are pulled from our private conversation.

"But it's Friday," Peter pouts.

"And we didn't go out Wednesday because someone had to get injured and we can't risk infection," Dawn rolls her eyes playfully, but her glance in my direction was a warning.

"Change you're bandage, then we'll leave," Dawn nods toward my arm and I pull myself from Anna's grasp and head toward the kitchen, Drako following.

A third pair of footsteps follow behind and I turn to see Anna.

"Is something wrong?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"I just thought I could help," Anna replies sheepishly.

"I'll be fine, thank you though. Do you want to get our stuff read?" I shoot her a smile and she nods before exiting the kitchen.

"You should tell her," Drako's deep voice speaks up as he begins to unravel the bandaging.

"I don't think she could handle it," I sigh.

"They all deserve to know," He tells me for the hundredth time. The last bit of wrap falls off and reveals my wrinkled forearm.

"It's getting worse," Drako inspects the greenish gray deteriorating skin, now exposing my bone.

"It's starting to eat at your bone now," He adds and I notice the tiny holes in the white surface. Drako hands me a small rag and I place it in my mouth, this process a routine now. Drako turns on the faucet and places my arm under as I retrain from hollering out in pain. Taking his knife, he gently scrapes away the giant gray chunks of rotted skin.

Once he's finished, he places a lot of packing on the gaping whole before wrapping it.

Appearing back into the office, we're greeting with three sets of eyes ready to leave. Sliding my right hand into Anna's left, we stroll out of the school. Drako climbs into the driver seat of the black truck, and Anna in the passenger seat. The rest of us position ourselves in the back of the truck, keeping watch. The bright Friday afternoon sun glitters on our guns, the air falling crisp in the change of weather.

"In and out," Dawn announces and the three of us pile out of the truck bed, rushing inside. We gather all that we can before we rush out. Peter accidentally trips the alarm, the sound of loud bells blaring signalling for us to get the hell out.

Drako slams on the gas as a Seikorae screeches, alerting his friends. Taking a sharp corner, I slide in the truck bed, slamming my left arm against the wall. Cringing in pain, I open my eyes to see Dawn glaring at me.

"What's the matter?" She spits.

"I was thrown into the wall," I simply reply. Her eyes narrow in on my arm, pursing her lips, before she turns her attention back to watch.

We finally reach the school and sprint for the doors. Drako immediately drops into his plush office chair and scans the screens.

"We've got two at the north end," Drako shouts.

"North end? But we came from the South," Dawn approaches Drako, staring over his should at the screen.

"Let's go, Anna and Chris you go North, Peter and I will watch the South end," Dawn calls out commands.

Grabbing our weapons we head out, splitting up and running toward our spots. Anna and I take the steps two at a time, making a beeline for the roof.

Standing at the edge of the roof, Anna and I start taking out the Seikoraes, two turned into six. They ran through the school yard, Anna to my right, dropped the closest one and two took a turn West. Anna just barely clipped him but he wasn't slowing.