Racing

We sat around, fully dressed, cleaning weapons. A few murmurs of conversation here and there. Glancing at the clock on the wall, I read 3:16 am. I sigh and recount my ammo for the hundredth time.

"Code red we have two on the south end and three dispersed around the northeast side," Drako's firm voice breaks the dull silence.

"Show time ladies," Dawn comes flying out of the kitchen crossbow in hand. We spring from our seats grabbing the gear we've prepared hours ago and race for the door, awaiting our commands.

"Chris you talk Anna to the south side, Peter and I will head to the northeast. Let's move out," she grabs the handle and we file out heading to our respective area.

"Downstairs or upstairs?" I ask Anna, calculating the odds, "upstairs we'll be farther out of their range but I'd have to use my handgun, downstairs I can use my shotgun."

"Upstairs," she replies heading toward the stairs.

We sprint up the stairs and search for an ideal location. We head into an art classroom and Anna peers out the window.

"I see them," she whispers.

Slowly I unlock the window just as dawn had done, before turning to face Anna.

"The second one of them is shot the other will know. You're gonna have to take one the same time I do, okay? You get the one on the right and I'll get the one on the left," my eyes search hers for any sign of doubt but she just silently nods.

I break into a cold sweat as I try to open the window as slowly as I can. Anna comes near and begins to get into the proper stance when one hesitates. We freeze, holding out breath. Suddenly red eyes are peering up at us. After a moment he carries on like nothing happened, and begins approaching the building once more.

Letting out a breath, Anna and I take our aim. I nod, signaling to shoot. The sound of two gun shots is heard echoing in the night as the two beasts drop, however they didn't convulse like the last one. Instead they began trying to crawl and search for us with their eyes. Another shot is fired and Anna's stops moving. I fire once again. Ending the creatures life.

Anna lets out a deep breath and leans back on a desk, trying to calm herself down.

"You did great, Anna," I wrap my arms around her in a comforting hug.

Suddenly there's a loud racket above us and we freeze. A shrill scream erupts, echoing all around the schools grounds. My eyes widen in shock as realization hits me. Grabbing my walkie, I frantically shout

"There's one on the roof!"

Anna slams the window shut as I wait for a reply. A gun shot goes off and I come to the conclusion I alarmed Peter and dawn's kill.

"Let's go," I grab Anna's hand and begin to drag her to the roof. I place my handgun in the waist of my pants and pull the shotgun off my back.

"Cover me," I tell Anna right before I kick the door to the roof open. The Seikorae turns, his red eyes glowing in the dim light of the early morning. Letting out another shrill scream, he comes charging toward me. Taking quick aim, I shoot him in the mouth just as he begins to open it.

Quickly reloading again, I take a second shot and the creature crumples to the ground. Fumbling to reload again as he begins to crawl, this time Anna takes a shot, stopping the Seikorae in his tracks.

"More are coming, east side," Drako calls over the walkie. I sling my shotgun over my shoulder and pull out my handgun as Anna and I run to the east edge of the roof where we hear peters gun shots.