Part 6

Lucas was sitting around the campfire with Kiana and Steve when he lifted his head up and sniffed the air. His eyes lit up bright white for a brief second before he whispered, "They're here."

"How do you know?" Kiana asked, as she looked around the clearing trying to spot them. When she could see nothing, she turned back to Lucas.

"I can smell them."

When he said that, Kiana lifted up her nose and sniffed the air. "I can't smell anything," she said trying a second time. Steve did the same action only to come back with nothing himself.

"Can you hear them?" Lucas asked. In answer, the two tried listening for any sounds. Birds chirped in the distance making their own type of music, while squirrels played hide and seek with the snakes who tried catching them. When they shook their heads Lucas asked, "How can I tell that they are here, but neither of you can?" Lucas looked around the surrounding forest once again. Plenty of trees covered the three of them and kept most of the sun off of their skin, and the wind whistled as it went through the branches. A fox could be heard in the distance howling either morning or trying to find a lost loved one.

Lucas's eyes turned to the east of where he sat pinpointing where the other wolves sat watching them. Paws hit the ground sending a small vibration to him. There was also light huffs that followed the wind blowing, which said the group was going to strike soon, and all too soon did eyes appear directly at Lucas. He stared for many seconds, but disappeared before anything could be said.

"We need to get ready," Lucas said, turning back to Kiana and Steve. "These wolves might attack if we are not careful."

"What do you expect us to do?" Kiana asked, standing up to gather most of the belongings."We can't even hear them, let alone see them."

"If we need to fight, then we need to fight for our lives," was Lucas's only reply.

"Fight?" Kiana asked. Fear was etched into her voice at the single word. Kiana wasn't much of a fighter anymore due to what had happened in the past, not only to her but to friends.

"Yes fight," he replied moving to give her a hug. Kiana was a lot smaller than Lucas was which could be seen by how her head just reached his chest. "I will make sure nothing happens to you. I might not have been able to before, but this time I will."

"Guys," Steve's voice could be heard just steps behind Lucas and Kiana.

"What is it?" Lucas asked turning to him, standing in front of Kiana. Steve was facing the opposite direction, eyes fixed on the forest line. Kiana moved around him only to see four wolves stepping out of the pitch black forest. A small gasp escaped her lips as the four moved through the trees. "Move back Kiana," Lucas said still watching the four wolves advance on them. He could see Kiana move back and Steve move toward her. The first wolf was a dark brownish color with bright green eyes. He was huge, and obviously the alpha.

Lucas sighed in contempt knowing that his younger sister would be safe next to Steve. A couple of steps later, the four wolves stopped 100 feet in front of him. No one made a move, too afraid to do something wrong, and instead everyone just stared. "You know it would be a lot easier to talk if you weren't in wolf form."

A growl erupted from the front wolf and with that growl, whimpers could be heard from the other three behind him. Kiana and Steve also whimpered, but Lucas stood his ground and just stared. His guess had been right.

"I'm guessing you are the alpha," Lucas said with a smile.

"What do you want?" came a voice from out of nowhere, but the threat was evident in the male's voice.

Lucas stared at the alpha wolf. "We want sanctuary," he said, indicating to both Kiana, Steve and himself. "I want my mate."

This time the voice turned into a laugh as it began speaking again, "Your mate?"

"Yes my mate, but more importantly a home," Lucas said once again staring the alpha down. "You know a family, and the one person in which I can spend the rest of my life with?"

Another growl came from the alpha and more voices. "Watch what you say before you regret it."

"Can't regret it anymore than I already have. As you can see, my sister," Lucas said turning to Kiana, "and my friend," he said, pointing to Steve who stood beside her. "The three of us are alone and hope that we will be able to find our mates and be welcomed into the pack. We want a real home."

The alpha grunted before he began to circle around and transformed back into his human form. Once complete, he turned to the others with him. "You can turn," he told them before turning to Lucas. "What happened to your old pack?"

Lucas began to answer him, but Kiana interrupted, "Our old alpha tried to force me into a mate binding with him."

"Force you?" he asked questionably. "He's not your mate?"

"No, he is not my mate, but he was trying to make me his mate by force," Kiana answered truthfully, taking a step forward. Steve tried to grab her shoulder but she moved away. "Of course that didn't work because if it had, then I wouldn't be here right now. As of right now, we are on our own. A three person pack in sorts trying to find my mate, my brothers or even our best friends," she said taking a breath before going on. "I know it sounds wrong bringing another pack into our problems, but our old alpha was really bad, and none of us could stay there any longer. He killed many wolves for no reason, and we just had to go. Lucas and Steve came along with me."

He nodded before asking, "And you think that your mate is here in my pack?"

"My mate?" Kiana asked questionably with a laugh. "No, my mate is not in your pack. I haven't felt my mate near here anyways. Actually we believe Lucas's mate and Steve's mate are within your pack."

"Lucas is who exactly," he then asked. His eyes dimmed, but quickly recided before anyone could notice.

"That would be me," Lucas replied.

Beside him Steve walked up and said, "Which would make me Steve."

"Do you believe your mate is here in my pack?" he asked Steve.

Steve took a deep breath. "These two believe that my mate is here in your pack, or at least used to be in your pack. I'm just not all that sure."

Nodding, the man turned to Lucas before asking, "Do you think that your mate is here in my pack?"

For what seemed like forever Lucas said nothing to the alpha, and instead just stared into his eyes. He seemed to go into some sort of trance where calling his name didn't even work.

"Mine," came another voice. This voice was that of a wolves'. To be exact, Lucas's wolf as he claimed what was rightfully his mate. This alpha. Lucas moved closer and closer to the alpha in what seemed almost against his will because his legs moved, but he had no control over them. Lucas kept moving even when a hand landed on his shoulder and began pulling him back.

"What do you think you're doing!?" Kiana screamed at Lucas causing him to shake his head falling out of the trance. When Lucas turned to Kiana, she gasped taking a step back and turning directly to the alpha before whispering, "Yours?" she asked.

Instead of answering her, Lucas turned back to the alpha. "You think your mate-" He stopped short and shook his head. "Why are your eyes a bright white?" he then asked, tilting his head, dazed. His eyes were also glowing as if he were approving.

"Think?" Lucas asked with a small laugh. He stared the alpha down and moved closer only to regret the action as his mate's scent became stronger. Holding his wolf in check, Lucas glanced at Kiana who nodded before he turned back to the alpha and said, "I know my mate is here."