One Can't Love and Do Nothing

"I had to touch you with my hands, I had to taste you with my tongue; one can't love and do nothing."
― Graham Greene

It was a mission for just the two of them. They had done this before, rarely, but occasionally. They were deemed "the strongest tag team in Fairy Tail" for a reason, after all. Somehow, even before their hearts were connected, they could read one another. After all, they grew up together, they fought all the time, they knew how each other thought, moved, responded. Fighting side by side meant knowing what the other person was about to do.

This time, though, they made one mistake. Not a serious one, not involving fighting. It had to do with preparing for the journey.

"I thought you were packing the food," Gray shouted.

"Why should I pack it?" Natsu yelled back. "Happy and I have a hard enough time fishing for enough food for the two of us. I figured you would."

"I didn't bring food because I was bringing the tent and sleeping bag."

"Exactly! You were in charge of that stuff."

"So what, you're along for a free ride?" Gray growled in exasperation. "Idiot. We have no food at all now."

"Don't get your panties in a wad, ice princess. We'll buy something in the next town."

"I hope you brought money."

"Wait, why is this all my responsibility? You were in charge of bringing money."

"I did. I brought enough for one night in a hotel while we're in the city, and travel expenses. Didn't you plan on chipping in at all? How greedy can you be?"

"Greedy? You asshole!"

"Look, I said I'd bring the camping gear and money. Everything else was supposed to be your job."

"Camping gear includes food."

"No it doesn't!" he screamed in outrage. "You were the one who begged me to help you, so you should at least take care of the food."

Natsu's eyes narrowed. "It's not like I need your help, popsicle dick!"

"If you don't need it, don't ask for it, you flame-brain fucker!"

"I thought it'd be a fun outing, but you're making this into a disaster."

"I didn't do shit! You're the one whining that you're hungry but didn't even pack food."

"You're the one accusing me of being greedy and along for a free ride! If you're gonna be an asshole about this, then fuck you! I don't need you for a mission this simple."

"Well, now you do, since you forgot the food."

"You were supposed to bring the food!"

After exhausting themselves in a shouting contest, they decided to split up and venture off the main road to a nearby forest. Natsu figured he could catch a fish in the river, and Gray went searching for nuts, berries, or edible mushrooms. He used Ice-Make to create a fishing spear out of ice, which Natsu complained about, and a gathering basket made of ice for himself.

Natsu seethed as he stood knee-deep in the icy river, cursing quietly about the coldness of the ice spear and grumbling about Gray calling him greedy. He honestly thought that Gray's offer to bring the camping gear included food. With him and Happy, camping gear always meant a tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear, and food. He thought it was sweet that Gray had offered to bring everything for their romantic outing together. Now, instead of cuddling together for dinner, they had their first fight as a couple.