Shadow of the Past

"Don't waste time on revenge. The people who hurt you will eventually face their own karma."
― Anonymous

Natsu, Gray, Lucy, Erza, Wendy, Carla, and Happy finished an arduous climb up a hill. Still ahead was an even steeper hill with a large cave on the bottom. Even from this distance, there was a foul odor in the wind.

Their guide, a local, held back as the group of wizards eyed the craggy terrain. He pointed ahead, and his knobby finger shook.

"That's it. That's Execution Hill. I'm not taking a step closer."

Erza pulled out a coin purse to pay the man. "Is there something wrong with that area? I noticed that no one in town wanted to go anywhere near here."

Lucy grumbled, "Yeah, and this man only agreed for triple the pay."

"It's a cursed place," he insisted. "They say that long ago, an evil dragon slept in that cave, and his magic cursed the entire land."

Natsu turned around with wide eyes. "A dragon?"

"He demanded meals, and so all the surrounding villages brought criminals to Execution Hill to be devoured by the dragon. Even centuries after that, it was a place of execution. The darkest spirits remain trapped there, and just living on that hill for more than a day corrupts the soul. No one goes there now, none but dark wizards. They terrorize our towns probably worse than that ancient dragon did."

Erza handed over a few Jewels. "Our thanks for your cooperation, but we won't force you to go further. Safe journey back."

The man took the money. "I'll pray that you return sane ... and safe." Then he scurried off down the hill as fast as he could walk.

"There is something here," Wendy said, sniffing the air.

"Smells like someone died," Natsu agreed.

"Is that the smell?" asked Lucy. "I barely smell it. Must be awful for you two."

"No, there's more than that," Wendy said. "There are spirits here."

Natsu leaped back in fear and grabbed hold of Gray. "Ghosts?" he cried out.

"Scaredy," Gray began to say, but then Happy also grabbed hold of him, throwing him off-balance.

"There is definitely magic at work here to hold spirits prisoner to the land," Wendy said, shivering slightly.

Erza's face went serious. "So if you die here, your spirit stays here."

Carla muttered, "People like Bickslow would be very powerful in a place like this. We should be careful of human possession wizards."

"Let's go," Erza said, marching forward. "And don't die."

Just as they began to move forward, Loke appeared on the top of the hill. "Lucy!"

She turned around. "Loke? What is it? I didn't summon you yet."

"This place ... I sensed something as soon as you crossed a threshold. It traps spirits."

"Wendy told us."

"That would include us," he warned. "If you summon any of us, we might never be able to return to the Celestial Spirit World."

Her mouth dropped. "No way. Thank you for letting me know. Wow, that would have been—"

"Lucy," Erza cut in. Her eyes were closed, and she was obviously upset. "Go back to the village."