Our Bond Will Never Be Broken

"Another year and the world keeps turning.
No money could buy the lessons we're learning.
This family stands strong, to overcome it all,
And we will never divide ... the solid lines.
Be proud of the choice of taking this side,
Living out our lives....
Let them hear us, let it be heard.
Our bond will never be broken."
― Bury Tomorrow, "Under the Sun"

Daegan fell to his knees, panting hard and wincing in pain. A shadow draped over him, and as he looked up, scarlet hair burned against the sunlight.

"I surrender," he sighed.

A crowd around them cheered. A gauntlet-covered hand went down, and he gripped a surprisingly strong grasp. Erza yanked Daegan up, and although they had just battled with all of their might, she still had a smile for him.

"You fought hard," she said in admiration.

"It was a challenge not to switch to another sword. You, my lady, are the fiercest opponent I have ever faced. As promised, the armors will be returned to you."

"And as we agreed, you will join Crime Sorcière. As you seek the light, they are the best guides." She blushed slightly. "One of them in particular would like to meet the man who is nearly my equal."

"Nearly, but I have a ways to go," Daegan said with a respectful nod to her. "When I am free from my past sins, I will seek out Fairy Tail again. I would enjoy fighting by your side one day instead of facing off against you."

"I'd like that very much." Erza clasped him on the shoulder. "Stay with us for now." She glanced around at the rowdy crowd that had come to watch their duel. "I think the guild has come to like you."

"And I them," he said, also looking at the wild bunch. "They are loyal to one another without any coercion. I think that's something I've missed in my life. The Sons of Darkness were held together through blood bonds, fear, or fanaticism. Here, I just see ... friends," he said, looking amazed, as if he had never known this sort of bond before.

"Friends who would go to any extreme for one another," Erza said with pride. She slapped his arm. "And now you've created at least one friend today."

His eyes widened, and then he laughed with a light blush, unable to look at her. "You honor me too much, Erza Scarlet."

"Stay a few days. I'll figure out how to contact Crime Sorcière. They're not an easy bunch to find." Her cheeks brightened a little again. "Give my regards to Jellal."

Daegan caught the way she said his name, and he sighed in understanding. "A boyfriend?"

"No. It's ... complicated."

"Then just a friend of yours seeking the light?"

"I think he discovered the path to light in his life," she mused. "He feels indebted to help others on their quests now. I hope he'll help you."

"You have my thanks, Titania. I hope I will be able to bring Jellal back here to Fairy Tail with me one day. Perhaps we can both join your guild at that time, when things are less complicated."

That made her blush even brighter. "That would be nice."

Just then, Lucy ran forward, with Happy flying side her. "Erza! We need to hurry. It's Natsu."

Erza sheathed her sword, and dread paled on her face. "What happened?"

Gray's head rested on a hard bed. He was used to the constant beep and hum of monitors now, and he could sleep through anything. After a week in this hospital, the noises no longer affected him. Even nurses coming in to change Natsu's bandages were something he could sleep through.