Chapter Two: A Memory Upon the Wings of a Mint-colored Bunny

Author's Note: Wow... This chapter is crazy. I'm not even joking! Sorry, in advance, for any confusion. XD BUUUUUUT, the beginning is really good! I really like Flying Mint Bunny in this chapter, because I based her off my five-year-old cousin Abigail. XD MY PRECIOUSES~! Anyway...wow. This is my longest chapter ever for a story. YAYNESS! Now, please remember to point any spelling/grammar mistakes I missed and enjoy! SAPPHIRE OUT!

Warning: Mild language, OCs, or possible genderbends will be used! Don't like, please move along and don't read~

Disclaimer: I do not own Hetalia! If I did, I probably wouldn't be writing this. xD

-*o*o*o*-

Chapter Two: A Memory Upon the Wings of a Mint-colored Bunny

Matthew crept into the castle. He had to be very careful not to make too much noise, otherwise he would get caught. He glided up the steps with little-to-no noise, which he found himself mentally hurrahing at. He was almost in the clear. He just had to get into his room and-

"Where have you been?!" Matthew winced at the Head Maid's screech. Oh no. Why did it have to be Mrs. Clarke that saw him?

"I, uh, was-"

"You were in the village again, weren't you?" Matthew found himself shrinking in fear at the sickeningly sweet, menacing tone she used. Mrs. Clarke had a reputation for being...intimidating, I suppose you say. Her misty, gray eyes narrowed at the prince when he didn't answer, "I knew it! You're always sneaking out to go there! If I had the authority, I would give you a good whipping to teach you a lesson. But, unfortunately, I don't. That is up to your father."

"I-I'm sorry, Mrs. Clarke..."

"Oh, trust me, you will be sorry. Even your father can't ignore that you've sneaked out so many times," She hissed and grabbed Matthew's wrist. She dragged the boy towards the throne room, which made the boy flinch, because even for a woman of her age, she had an extraordinary strength.

The throne room was in a circular, almost oval, design. Purple tapestries adorned the walls, a golden heart in the center of each. Twelve chairs were lined against the white walls, one of the chairs much larger than all the others. It stretched up towards the ceiling and shone in the late afternoon light. It was made of pure gold. Only the true King of Hearts could sit in that chair without the fear of being smote down by the Guardian of the Four Kingdoms.

Matthew's father sat in the throne as he conversed with a middle-aged woman. She had long, brunette hair that fell on her shoulders. A chartreuse dress hugged her body perfectly and fell in ruffles around her feet. She appeared to be in an in-depth conversation with the king, as worry lines were etched on her face.

The king noticed that Matthew had entered, so he quickly whispered a few words to the woman. She nodded and exited the throne room, doing a quick curtsy in recognition of Matthew when she had passed him.

"I found him, Your Highness. He was trying to sneak back into his room. He had been out in the village again as you suspected," Mrs. Clarke quickly explained.

"I see. Thank you, Angela. You are dismissed."

The maid did a stiff curtsy and left the room, leaving the two members of the Royal Family alone.

"Father, I-"

"No, Matthew. This about the hundredth time you've sneaked out. I can't even trust you to stay home when I'm gone," the king sighed and stood up. He walked towards Matthew and put his hands on the prince's shoulders, "I know this seems unfair. I know how much keeping you inside the castle makes it feel like a prison. I remember that feeling when my father, your grandfather, was still king. One day it will make sense. It's just to keep you safe."