Chapter 4

Phil's POV

I woke up, and was again shocked when I couldn't see. My hand slapped my bed gently, looking for something to hold. Dan did come into my room last night, right? Where was he? I began to worry. Not being able to look around began to give me anxiety. I felt no one was there. I was alone. I began to shake.

"Dan?" I asked aloud.

I felt a warm hand touch me. "Phil, I'm right here," he said. "I didn't go anywhere."

I calmed down. "Sorry," I said. "I didn't know if you left or...."

"No, I wouldn't do that, okay?"

I believed him.

"Can I get you breakfast?" he offered.

I wasn't really hungry yet, so I told him no.

"Well, the doctor gave me medicine for your bruises and burns. Want me to help you with that?"

"Sure."

"I'll be right back."

Dan let go of me and I felt him leave my bed. He returned shortly and put a tube in my hand.

"It's a cream for the road burns," he explained. "I can help you, if you'd like."

I nodded and let him rub the cold cream on my skin. Ashe did, I felt helpless. I couldn't do anything by myself anymore....

He again offered me breakfast when he finished, and I said that'd be nice.

He let me hold his arm and guided me to the kitchen. He placed some kind of rod in my hand, and I knew it was the cane.

"I don't like it," I told him

"Then how will you get around?"

I held on tighter to his arm. I liked having him to guide me around instead, but I didn't want him waiting on me at every minute.

He placed his hand on mine as I gripped him again. "I can help," he said. "Do you mind if I sit you down while I get breakfast? I'll still be right here."

"Okay, sure."

He let me go. "Don't move." Dan walked away for a moment, and I again felt lost and scared. He then returned and I heard a thump in the floor behind me. "I brought you a chair,"he said. "It's right behind you."

I put my hands behind me and felt the seat, so I sat down.

"I'm right here, okay?" he said kindly.

"Yeah. What's for breakfast?"

"What do you want?"

"I don't really care."

"Cereal?"

"Sure."

I listened to him pour it for me and eventually hand me the bowl and spoon. I then realized I had no clue what I was doing. I heard him scoot another chair close to where I was and sat. He put his hand on my shoulder.

"Right here," he assured.

I smiled, and I hoped he saw it. I tried to eat, but it felt so weird not being able to see my food. I was able to finish (I'm pretty sure) and handed Dan my bowl.

"Do you want to shower?" he asked.

I did feel like a shower would be nice, but I wasn't sure how well it would work. I said I did anyway.

"Alright, how can I help?"

"I need clothes," I said.

Dan led me to the bathroom and turned on the shower to warm up. "I'll get you some when you're finished. Just... get undressed, and the shower is right here," he said, placing my hand on the door.

"Thank you so much," I told him.

"Just yell if you need me," he said calmly."I'll be in the lounge. Don't hesitate to -"

"Okay," I giggled. "Okay, I've got it. You don't have to tend to me hand and foot. I'll be okay."

"Alright, sorry. Just trying to help you out," he said with a happiness in his voice that made me feel better.

"And you have been," I said, really hoping I was facing him. "I feel bad that you have to."

He put both hands on my shoulders. "Don't. It isn't your fault. I am your best friend and I want to make it the easiest possible for you. You deserve it."

His words hurt, and I was all of a sudden thankful I hadn't gone deaf instead. I told him I would shower now and waited for him to close the door so I could undress.

Dan's POV

While Phil showered, I went on the internet for the first time in days. I realized we had never posted that video and the fans must be going nuts. I went on Twitter, where I was bombarded by messages asking where we were and if we were okay. I wrote and posted a Tweet:

"sorry it's been so long... Phil got into an accident and we just got home from the hospital yesterday. he was hit by a bus and has gone completely blind.... we'll try to post later tonight"

In minutes, responses poured in like rain:

"OMG IS HE OK"

"Dan did you get hurt too???"

"I'M SO SORRY take your time uploading!!!! Or don't!! We understand!!! Please feel better!! ❤"

I didn't reply to any of them.

Soon, I heard a crash from the bathroom and Phil's voice shriek. I stood up immediately and ran, throwing open the door and finding him in a towel on the floor. He was shaking again.

I gently put my hands on his shoulders to let him know I was there, then helped him sit up. He put his arms around me.

"Phil, are you alright?" I asked.

"I-I tripped on the f-floor."

"Are you hurt?"

He shook his head no. His shaking began to calm down. I didn't like the shaking. It made me worry even more about him.

I helped to stand him up. He tried to make sure his towel was secured around his waist while I lead him with one hand to his room. I helped him sit on his bed and placed his clothes in his lap.

"Can I do anything for you?" I asked.

He didn't say anything and didn't face me. His fingers touched the fabric of the clothes I had for him, probably trying to picture which ones they were. "No," he finally said.

"I will be right out here, okay? Call me if you need me."

"I will."

I stepped out. I felt absolutely awful. What if I - or anybody else - wasn't there? Would he be okay on his own?

I heard a click of a door open, and I rushed to Phil's room. He had been able to come out on his own at least. I guessed it was a start.

His hands were both extended out in front of him and I watched him feel around the walls. He was trying to be independent, I knew. He probably didn't like being treated like he was a child, but I didn't know what else to do.

"Dan?" he finally said.

I announced I was there, and I took his hands to bring him to the sofa.

We both sat there, unsure of what to say.

"What do you want to do?" I asked him.

He was silent. I could see him thinking, but I didn't expect and answer. What could we do? We couldn't watch something or play something. We couldn't edit that gaming video. We couldn't do much, really. I knew he was thinking the same thing, and he broke down in tears. I hugged him.

"I'm sorry," I said, trying not to cry myself.

"I can't do anything anymore," he sobbed.

"Shh, it's okay. We'll find something. We'll find some way to make it work."

We would make it work, one way or another.