Chapter 23 / Epilogue

Many years later, with Dan and Phil Howell-Lester...

Dan's POV

It's almost been ten years since Phil's blindness was reversed. We've been married for five years. The fans have calmed and Phan, what was once a simple dream of many people, was now a casual thing on the internet. Phil and I never had the heart to stop YouTube, and we just kept making videos. Life for us was amazing, especially since we had each other now.

Today, another chapter was being added in our lives. Both getting closer to the age of 40, Phil and I decided something – we wanted another one of us, to love and to raise.

After a year of preparation and waiting, today, we would finally meet her.

Phil gripped my arm the same way he did when he couldn't see ten years ago. For some reason, that just stuck. He and I nervously sat in the waiting room of the adoption place, awaiting our first meeting with her.

She was already five years old. He name was Abigail. The adoption centre had her since she was born, but today, she would have a home.

"Do you think she'll like us?" Phil asked me as he adjusted his glasses.

"Of course she will," I assured.

"Do you think we'll be good enough parents?"

"Of course we will."

"I'm so nervous."

"I am too, Phil. It's okay."

A lady from the adoption centre smiled as she walked out of a room. In one hand was a suitcase filled with things that belonged to the little girl. In the other, she held the little girl's hand and walked her out.

"Oh my God." I whispered to Phil. "She's beautiful."

Abigail shyly looked up at us. She knew who we were. She held a stuffed cat doll under one arm, which appeared to be her comfort tool. Her long, blonde hair was tied back neatly into two ponytails. She smiled and waved her tiny hand.

She was so perfect, and she was ours. Phil let go of me and waved back.

Phil's POV

I stared at the tiny little thing standing in front of us. She was ours.

I paid close attention as she tucked the cat doll beneath her arm. Her little hands began to work.

'My name is A-B-B-Y,' she signed to us, smiling widely.

Yes, our little girl was born deaf.

As soon as we found out about her, we decided that she would be ours. We had been learning and practicing sign language as soon as possible. I put my fingers in front of me and knelt down to her. beginning to sign slowly back.

'My name is P-H-I-L. I'm you're dad.'

Dan did so as well. "My name is D-A-N. I'm your other dad."

'Are you ready to go home?' I signed.

'Yes.' She dropped her doll and ran to me, hugging around my neck. I was about to cry. She pulled back and let me see her hands. 'I love you,' she signed.

'I love you too.'

Dan tapped her shoulder so she would look. 'I love you too.'

The excited little girl kissed my cheek and I kissed hers. She turned over and kissed Dan's, and he kissed her back.

After arriving home and settling her in, I pulled Dan close to me.

"She's perfect," I said.

"Yeah. She's like you."

"No, she's like you."

A noise was heard from the kitchen, and Dan and I ran to her. Abby had somehow found the cereal box, and was eating from it while sitting on the floor.

"No," Dan said. "She's like you."

I laughed and kissed him, then picked Abby up.

'I like that,' she signed, pointing to the box.

"Just like your dad," Dan said aloud as I held her close to him. He then corrected himself and said it again in her language.

~~~

That night, when we were sure our new little girl was asleep, I leaned into Dan.

"Remember when I lost my sight when we were younger?" I asked him, though I knew the answer.

"Of course I do."

"Thank you for everything."

"I told you not to thank me."

"I don't care. I'm still going to."

He laughed. It was the same laugh as before. Nothing about him has changed. "So this is it?" he said. "We have a daughter now."

"Yeah."

He kissed me. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Dan."

I cuddled back into him as we always seemed to do, and he – for the first time in years, did something I had never forgotten. The first time he did, I was surprised, but I felt everything changed in that moment. In the darkness of the room, Dan gently placed his lips on the open spot of skin closest to him, right on my neck.

~~~~~~~

A/N: 

Thank you so much for reading! I really hope you liked it! :D Let me know what you thought in the comments! If you liked this, feel free to read some of my other works. It would mean the world if you did! Love you guys and thanks again!

~ SLP ✨