Chapter 19

Phil's POV

It wasn't long from then until Dr. Murphy appeared and announced that she was ready to set me up. I nervously was lead into another room, far from my friends and family. It felt dark. Dan stayed with me and helped me to the bed they wanted me to lay down in. I sat up in it.

Dan didn't let go of my hand as the doctor and her nurses rushed around, doing things I didn't know of, and probably wouldn't know of even if I could see them. He touched my forehead and swiped a piece of fringe from my face.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Phil, this is Dr. Murphy," the doctor said, touching the arm that Dan was not. "I'm going to start giving you some simple numbing medicine, okay?"

"Alright."

I felt a pinch in my arm. A needle. I was sitting up to stay closer to Dan, but she told me to lay down. My head was laid on the pillow below, and my face felt warm. I was pretty sure I was under a light.

"I feel lightheaded," I groaned.

"Good," she said. "Dan, it's time for you to go, dear. I need to put him to sleep and go to work."

"Dan?" I said weakly.

He gripped my hand tightly.

Dan's POV

I watched the doctor rush around, and I shrunk down in my own pain as they numbed Phil with the medication. He became dizzy, but I knew he wouldn't fall asleep for surgery with that. They would give him something else and kick me out, but I couldn't bare to leave his side.

As soon as she told me I had to go, my heart sunk.

"H-how long will it be?"

"I'm guessing around an hour and half. Maybe two. I don't really know."

"Oh."

"Dan, he's in good hands," she said reassuringly while putting on a doctor's mask and washing her hands. She then put on gloves and told a nurse to bring her something. "I'm going to be putting him to sleep now. Don't worry, alright? I get you're that super attached friend and all, but you have to leave. You aren't even supposed to be here right now. You should have left a while ago."

I nodded. "Okay."

She leaned towards Phil with some sort of mask that I knew would put him out.

"Wait," I said.

She sighed unhappily and impatiently.

I leaned down and kissed Phil's mouth quickly. "I love you," I whispered. "Whatever happens, I'll always love you."

He reached up and touched my shoulder. "I love you too."

"We love each other, hooray," the doctor said monotoned and slightly sarcastically. "Can we get a move on, please?"

"Okay, go ahead."

She placed the mask that was now pumping gas over Phil's mouth.

"Now Phil, just slowly count backwards from ten."

He slowly did so, and by the time he was on five, his grip on my hand loosened, and he was asleep. As his hand fell limply out of mine, I knew this was it. I let go and left the room, my thoughts everywhere but sane.