Chapter 8

Phil's POV

Mum and Dad arrived at our flat the next weekend as promised. They asked me a thousand questions, but showered me in love. It felt great, honestly.

"Are you sore?" Mum asked. "Want me to make you some tea? How about dinner, can I help with that?"

"No, I'm fine, Mum, really!" I said, hugging her."Dan's been taking care of everything."

"Oh, that's nice! He's such a lovely friend, don't you think?"

"Yeah."

Dan was in the room. He was there when she came in, and I didn't heard him leave.

"Mrs. Lester," he said, "Can I get you anything?"

"Oh no, not for me thank you, dear. Honey, do you want anything?"

"Oh no thanks," my dad said.

My Mum inspected me and made sure I was okay a thousand times over. She updated me on the family and how everyone's been so worried for me. I told her to let them know that they don't have to worry.

"Well," she said, "I just wanted to make sure you were doing alright. Is it hard? Not being able to see?"

"I guess so," I answered. "It's hard to get around, but I've got enough help."

"Do you use the blind cane?"

"No, not really."

"Then... how do you get around?"

"Well, Dan's been helping me. I'm getting better at it."

"Good, good."

Conversation like this went on for a long time as we caught up. Dan left the lounge to go begin making dinner for us. I listened to his steps to the kitchen, rushed and quick. I hoped he was okay.

"Guys," Dan called, "we're out of milk. I think I'll run and get some."

"Are you sure you want to go out?" my dad offered. "I could go and get some for you."

"No," he said. "Thank you, though. I'll go out.I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Alright," he said, and turned back to me. "So Phil, is it harder to make your videos now? Is there anything we can do to help?"

I listened to the door close.

"Phil?"

"Oh, well, sometimes, yes, but again, with Dan's help, it's not too bad, really."

As soon as he was gone, my Mum put her hand on mine. "Phil." she said. "What's new, really?"

"What?"

"With Dan?"

"What about Dan?"

"Is he alright?"

"Yeah. I mean, I feel bad about making him have to help me so often, but I think he's fine."

"Has he been different with you lately?"

"I guess not. Why do you ask?"

"This might sound offensive," she said, "but I'm your Mum, so listen to me. I wish you could see the way he looks at you."

"What do you mean?"

"He's so... what's the word? Tentative? I suppose. Maybe more protective. He looks at you differently now. I mean, I thought he looked at you lovingly before, but now.... It's different."

I was confused. "Mum, what are you talking about?"

"He loves you," my father got to the point.