CH 14

Ana started showing the basics of how she did data gathering by hacking into computer and telecommunication systems and how the information was used for group definition and dynamics along with identification of dependent variables. This was all input into an algorithm that combines finite element analysis along with a form of chaos mathematics to produce forecasting models. The part that Tom found most interesting is how the model would recalculate constantly in a repeating loop to account for the ever changing data being collected.

The fire was burning low by the time he felt he was beginning to understand the basics so Tom moved inside the ship to continue. He was astonished at how easily Ana could obtain any information she wanted from any computer in the world. If knowledge was power, then Ana's pool of information and alien technology amounted to an unimaginable force. An excitement like he had never felt before overcame him because it was all waiting for him to use. Now, what should he do first?

Tom spent the rest of the day pondering how best to use his newly discovered power. Fame and money were obviously easy to obtain now but he wanted to do more than satisfy his primal desires. He wanted to make a difference... a real difference.

Later that day he was working with Ana trying to understand how best to get alien technology to the people on Earth that needed it most.

"Tom, here is a basic interface for your model that contains the most probable outcomes of educating mankind on nanotechnology, cold fusion and cures for most of the common cancers that humans suffer from."

"The top represents the present and the layers below it are future timelines progressing as you go down. To open any prediction, you only need to touch the icons to expand them and, as you do, so a new pyramid will form beneath it representing the probable future events leading from that point."

Tom could see that each icon was linked to the ones below it by lines that were slowly changing in thickness and color in a slow undulation that almost made it seem alive. He noticed that when a line got too thin, the icon it led too would fade away and others would sprout up to take its place so that the number of icons in a layer was constantly changing. It was very pretty to watch, but he had no idea what any of it meant.

Ana continued, "This model assumes little involvement from us after the data is discovered. Of course that can be altered as can any aspect of the model. The icons represent probable events. The lines connecting them represent the probability of that event based on current calculations and also indicate the rate at which that probability is changing as the model is updated. The darker, thicker lines equate to a higher probability associated to that path. If you touch a line, it will display the currently calculated probability on top of the line and the rate of change for that probability below the line."

He reached out to touch one of the thicker lines which then displayed two numbers as she said it. What caught him by surprise was that the numbers were carried out to what must be over a hundred decimal places and they were constantly changing.

"Ana, why do you use so many significant digits? You know, you're wasting a lot of effort like this."

Ana said, "The number of digits you see are only a small fraction of the true number I use in the calculations. Displaying the entire number is not practical as they extend to many thousands of places past the decimal point."

Tom's eyes went wide. "Wow. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to round them off? I mean, we humans may not be as advanced as you but we know how to keep things in perspective."

"Let me give you an example of why even that level of accuracy isn't enough," Ana said. "Imagine that you're trying to predict the path of a golf ball hit by a driver on a golf course. You could model the ball as a simple sphere but that wouldn't take into account the dimples of the ball. Those dimples affect the flow of air in a way that reduces drag by delaying the separation of the air stream from the surface of the ball thus making the area of low pressure behind the ball less."