CH 29

In a lavish waiting room with windows overlooking hectic downtown Beijing, United States President Benjamin Thomas was being briefed for his meeting with China's President Hu Jintao that would take place later today. He was anxious, but anyone would be. There was a lot at stake with China and this meeting would set the tone of the relationship between the two major powers for the next decade.

His aide was going over the details of a proposed joint partnership for oil exploration deep in mainland China when the senior CIA official on this trip entered the room with a large briefcase and a serious look on his face.

"Mr. President, I need to speak with you."

The President motioned for his aid to stop. "Yes Scott, what is it?"

"I'm afraid this requires extreme privacy."

"Ok, everyone let's take a break," The President said with a gesture toward the door. The aids got up and filed out except for a tall man in a gray suit. He was Chief of Staff Gary Green and was normally privy to all conversations with the President.

"So, what's up?" the President said.

"I am sorry Sir but this is for your eyes only."

"Gary stays, go ahead and tell me what this is about."

The agent looked uncomfortably at the Chief of Staff for a moment then leaned close to the President and whispered, "This is a Project Red Book emergency."

The Presidents face went white. "You're not serious."

Scott cocked his head slightly. "This is not a drill."

It was probably only another UFO sighting but he had to follow protocol to keep the CIA happy. He gave the Chief of Staff an apologetic look. "Gary, give us a few minutes."

"If you say so Mr. President."  He gathered up his papers and left.

Once the door was secured, The President said, "All right, what is this all about? It's not really-"

The agent held his finger up to his lips in the universal sign for quiet then reached into his briefcase and pushed a button. The sound of the President's voice and Scott's started coming from speakers in the case making it sound like they were continuing the conversation but not about the real Project Red Book. Scott took a file out that had "For the President's Eyes Only" printed across the cover in bold red letters and handed it to him.

He shrugged of the static shock he got when taking the file which contained a thick report baring the title, "The Challenger Park Encounter". The report contained descriptions of what had happened in Challenger Park and was illustrated with graphic pictures of the aftermath, including pictures of dead and wounded soldiers. There were a few photos labeled "UFO" but the object marked on those pictures was only a blur in the night sky.

His first reaction was of disbelief but then he realized this was no joke. A swift scan of the report told him that this was an actual encounter with aliens. It angered him that this had happened several hours ago and he was just now being informed.

He leaned forward to read more of the report concerning the actions leading up to the encounter in the park and his eyes fixed on the part about nuclear weapons being loaded onto a fighter jet in case they were needed to repel the aliens. He gave Scott a harsh glance but restrained the desire to question him. There was no doubt that the room was monitored by their hosts. Did the CIA have legal authority to authorize the use of nuclear weapons under these circumstances? He was going to order an investigation into how that was possible. When he had read everything twice, he signed the release form giving the Secretary of Defense authority to place the armed forces on high alert and mobilize the National Guard at his discretion.

Anaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें